Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Domestic Violence topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
New Orleans City Council proclaims October Domestic Violence Awareness Month; health department and partners outline response and prevention programs
Summary
City Council adopted a resolution recognizing October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month and heard presentations on response programs, fatality reviews and prevention strategies from the Health Department, Family Justice Center and service providers.
Get email alerts on the Domestic Violence topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City Hall — The New Orleans City Council unanimously adopted a resolution recognizing October 2025 as Domestic Violence Awareness Month and heard detailed briefings from the city health department and local service providers on response and prevention efforts.
Council President Helena Moreno introduced the resolution, which the council approved by voice and machine vote. The resolution recognizes survivors, honors organizations and agencies that serve victims, and reaffirms the city’s commitment to supporting a “safe, supportive community free from violence and fear.”
Jocelyn Pinkerton, domestic violence and sexual-assault program manager at the New Orleans Health Department, described the department’s work and partnerships. She said the department’s domestic violence program is housed in the Office of Violence Prevention and coordinates an “Advocacy-Initiated Response” (AIR) program that connects survivors identified in police incidents with community-based advocates from the Family Justice Center for safety planning and support. Pinkerton said NOPD averages “over 30 domestic violence–related incidents a day” and that at least 83 people in Orleans Parish have died in domestic-related incidents in the last five years; she said at least six had died so far in 2025.
Speakers from service organizations described available services and community partnerships. Misty (Family Justice Center) and Mary Claire Landry (Family Justice Center) highlighted survivor-centered practices, a candlelight vigil and a march scheduled Oct. 29, and ongoing training for 911 operators, EMS and NOPD personnel. Dawn Bradley Fletcher, CEO of the New Orleans Women and Children’s Shelter, said the shelter provides safety and a pathway from “crisis to confidence” and urged continued funding and cross-agency collaboration.
The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office noted the link between domestic violence and broader violent-crime patterns. Andre Godin Jr., chief of screening, said prosecutors and service providers must work together to reduce repeat violence and protect survivors.
Speakers also presented survey and research findings. Mally Froelich of Tulane’s Newcomb Institute cited a 2023 Louisiana Violence Experiences Survey reporting that 52% of Louisiana adults said they had experienced intimate-partner violence; among other findings, the survey reported higher prevalence among parents of children under 18, LGBTQ+ respondents and people with disabilities, and showed an association between eviction/economic deprivation and higher IPV risk.
The council moved adoption of the resolution by voice and machine vote; the clerk recorded seven yeas and no nays. Council members used the event to acknowledge service providers, emphasize survivor-centered responses and call for continued funding and public education.

