Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Homelessness Services topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Salt Lake City updates winter shelter planning, mobile hygiene pilot and short‑term ‘community corner’ outreach site

5930764 · August 13, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City staff briefed council on a county winter‑services plan that would add roughly 400 beds, a state‑led transformative campus still short on funding, a local mobile hygiene pilot awarded to a nonprofit, and a temporary fenced ‘community corner’ outreach site running Mondays–Wednesdays through the winter plan opening.

City homelessness and outreach staff told the council on Aug. 12 that the county’s winter‑services plan envisions a substantial increase in temporary shelter capacity but that funding and site availability remain unresolved.

Andrew Johnson, director of homeless policy and outreach, said the task force’s estimate was about 1,300 temporary beds overall based on last year’s point‑in‑time count, last winter’s shelter utilization, turnaways and Code Blue nights; that figure is “in addition to the 20 year‑round beds we have fully funded in the HRCs,” he said. Johnson said about 400 of the 1,300 would be new beds compared with last winter but that the state and task force must still resolve how to pay for them.

Johnson said the state’s proposed “transformative campus” is still in site‑selection and that the Office of Homeless Services does not yet have sufficient capital or operating funding. He noted the governor’s budget proposals due in September will shape prospects for state funding.

Weston Clark, director of community outreach, briefed the council on a “community corner” program: a fenced site the Community Redevelopment Agency will make available to local outreach providers on Mondays through Wednesdays in the afternoons through October or November, with the Hart program administering applications from providers. Clark said the hours are coordinated to align with services at the Wiegand Center and St. Vincent de Paul and that the administration is monitoring impacts to parks and adjacent neighborhoods.

Clark also said a mobile hygiene pilot the council requested earlier this year has been awarded to a local nonprofit and that the city will share operational details as providers finalize a name, schedule and logistics.

Council members asked about West Valley overflow sites operated in state‑owned facilities; Johnson said the West Valley temporary shelter has been used for two years and that because the facility is state‑owned West Valley has limited ability to alter its operation. Councilors asked for a state representative, Wayne Niederhauser, to brief the council on state approaches and funding constraints.

Ending Staff said they will return with more operational details on the mobile hygiene pilot and with updates on the state’s winter plan after the governor’s budget and the state’s Office of Homeless Services provide decisions.