Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the County Finance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Quarterly finance report: ad valorem and sales tax collections outperform projections; county used about $4 million of fund balance
Summary
Finance director Kimberly Hunnicutt reported that FY25 ad valorem tax collections exceeded the budget by about $2.9 million and sales-tax receipts outpaced projections by 8%; the county transferred roughly $11 million to the debt fund during the year and ended up using about $4 million of fund balance rather than the $11 million anticipated in the
Get email alerts on the County Finance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Kimberly Hunnicutt, Harnett County finance director, presented the county’s fiscal update for the first quarter and summarized the fiscal year ending 2025 during the Oct. 4 meeting.
Hunnicutt reported that ad valorem tax collections for the year exceeded the budget by $2.9 million and were about 7% higher than the prior fiscal year. Sales-tax receipts exceeded projections by 8% and were 7% ahead of 2024, she said. Solid-waste revenues were up about 21% year over year; Harnett Regional’s revenue increase primarily reflected accounting treatment of fixed-asset additions rather than cash inflows.
Hunnicutt said expenditures for the prior fiscal year increased by $18.8 million, with transportation up 57% because of capital purchases for the HART transportation program. She explained that the county transferred $11 million from the general fund to the debt-service fund to ensure debt payments are available when due; that timing of the transfer contributed to higher reported expenditures in the quarter. For the current fiscal year, she reported that revenues through September totaled about $17.6 million, slightly below the same period last year.
Hunnicutt discussed grants and federal funding, noting that ARPA and other one-time federal funds are diminishing, which reduces associated revenues and related expenditures.
She said the county’s unaudited figures for fiscal year 2025 show the county used about $4 million of fund balance, less than the roughly $11 million usage anticipated when the fiscal 2025 budget was adopted. The county maintains a minimum fund-balance policy of 15% with a 20% target to preserve flexibility in the face of federal cuts or other revenue disruptions.
A commissioner added that while the budget assumed $11 million of fund-balance use, the final outturn was closer to $4 million because some anticipated expenditures did not occur. Hunnicutt said she will continue to monitor revenues and expenditures and report results to the board; she described the reported figures as unaudited.

