Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Immigration Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Speakers tell Los Angeles City Council ICE raids have chilled work, school and daily life
Summary
At a Sept. 16 council meeting, public commenters described nearly 90 days of ICE enforcement that they say has frightened workers, emptied businesses and interrupted children’s schooling; Councilmember Adrián Nazarian pledged continued local support but no formal action was taken.
Get email alerts on the Immigration Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of residents told the Los Angeles City Council on Sept. 16 that recent immigration-enforcement operations by federal authorities have caused fear across immigrant neighborhoods, driven some workers out of their jobs and reduced customer traffic at local businesses.
The comments came during the meeting’s public-comment period after Councilmember Adrián Nazarian opened the session on the issue and said the council would continue efforts to protect affected communities. “Esta administración federal sigue amenazando a nuestra comunidad,” Nazarian said, introducing several Spanish‑language speakers who described families too frightened to leave their homes.
Why it matters: Commenters said the raids have economic as well as human consequences — business owners reported losing staff and customers, parents said they fear sending children to school, and service providers described difficulty locating family members taken in enforcement actions.
Several speakers asked the city to continue or expand supports for people affected by enforcement operations. At the meeting, community representatives described direct aid already provided by the council office for District 2 — including food and rent help — and urged ongoing city support. Brenda López, a community representative who identified herself as working in District 2, said people “tienen miedo de salir a trabajar y ir con sus niños a las escuelas,” and described families who are unable to keep medical appointments or attend graduations.
Other speakers told the council that enforcement actions have led to a decline in customers at local restaurants and stores. One speaker described the situation bluntly: “Los clientes no quieren venir a comer por el miedo que los vayan a agarrar.” Several called the pattern ‘‘separating families’’ and said the presence of armed federal agents has left neighborhoods feeling ‘‘abandoned.’’
Council response and immediate outcome: Councilmember Nazarian framed the comments as evidence the council should continue to document the local effects of federal enforcement and to provide emergency supports where possible. Nazarian said, “vamos a seguir protegiéndonos,” but the meeting record shows no formal motion, referral or vote on new protections or funding during the Sept. 16 session.
What was not decided: Speakers urged policy responses ranging from legal assistance to expanded emergency relief programs; however, the council did not take a formal vote, issue a new directive to staff at the dais during the session, or introduce an ordinance tied to the testimonies that day.
Community context and claims: Commenters said the wave of enforcement had been going on for almost 90 days, moving through neighborhoods and disrupting workplaces. Those statements were presented as first‑hand reports and community testimony; the city record from the meeting does not independently confirm the federal activity described or specify any particular federal court ruling beyond a general reference to a U.S. Supreme Court decision that, a speaker warned, could alter enforcement practices.
What to watch next: Residents and service providers asked for continued council attention and documentation of enforcement impacts. Council staff or members may propose follow‑up briefings or referrals in later meetings; no such item was recorded on Sept. 16.

