Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Inclusive Sports topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents and volunteers urge board to restore unified bocce funding ahead of season
Summary
Volunteers and parents told the board that a planned Unified Bocce program is missing from the district's budget despite earlier assurances; advocates said the sport supports inclusion for students with disabilities and asked the board to add the item to the agenda so the team can compete Sept. 17.
Get email alerts on the Inclusive Sports topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents, volunteers and school community members asked the Newburgh board on Sept. 9 to clarify whether the district had funded a proposed Unified Bocce team for students with disabilities, saying the program appeared to be omitted from the final budget despite earlier assurances.
Mackenzie Boucher, who has volunteered with Unified Sports since 2017, said conversations about a Unified Bocce team began in November 2024 and that she emailed district staff on April 2 to confirm bocce had been added to the budget. She said she was told on April 3 that bocce "was added to the budget," but that coaches and parents had since been told otherwise by the current athletic director. Boucher said there are six meets planned — two in Newburgh — the athletes do not need uniforms, and coaches were willing to accept reduced pay. She urged the board to add bocce ball to the meeting agenda and to attend meets; the first meet is scheduled for Sept. 17.
Nut graf: Supporters described Unified Bocce as a low‑barrier, Special Olympics‑recognized unified sport that promotes social interaction and inclusion for students with mobility, vision, or cognitive differences. They argued the program requires modest resources and should be funded or expedited in the budget process.
Public commenters including Tracy Wallace reiterated the benefits of inclusive sports, noting bocce's low‑impact adaptability and year‑round playability and urging the district to support the program. In response later in the meeting, the assistant superintendent for secondary education said bocce is "not off the table" and will be discussed further.
Ending: Supporters asked the board to act quickly so students can participate in scheduled meets; the district said it will continue discussions and that bocce remains under consideration.

