Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Industrial Land Use Safety Odor topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents raise safety and odor concerns about nearby industrial activity; city describes Heidelberg site work

5811126 · September 12, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents asked the council about industrial activity and past incidents near residential areas and about gravel and driveway damage on Dryden Road; the city manager said Heidelberg is preparing dock doors and a parking lot and that Phillips Concrete has been repairing right-of-way damage.

Residents at the Sept. 11 Moraine City Council meeting raised questions about industrial activity near homes, including safety concerns about a factory with a prior explosion and worries about odors from corn-processing operations.

Tom Hicks, who identified himself as a lifelong resident of Dixie Street, asked whether the city had conducted research into a company opening a new factory near his house and said he was concerned because “their last factory blew up,” an incident he said killed six people. Hicks also asked about guarantees to mitigate odors from corn processing, calling the potential smell a “nuisance concern” and referencing prior litigation he said the community experienced.

The city manager addressed separate, related inquiries about site activity by a company identified in the meeting as Heidelberg. The manager said the dirt being moved adjacent to a property was intended to accommodate dock doors on the company’s south side and a parking lot; the manager said Heidelberg has been leasing nearby space and hopes to consolidate that activity back onto its campus.

Council and staff also noted an issue involving Phillips Concrete and damage to a driveway approach on Dryden Road; the manager said one drive approach had already been completely redone and that community development and the city engineering office were working with Phillips to ensure completion.

No formal action, permits or code-enforcement measures were adopted during the meeting in response to the public comments. Council did not record new conditions, tests or guarantees regarding odors or industrial safety at the meeting; questions raised by residents were placed on the record as public comment for possible follow-up by staff.