Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Acero School Closures topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents, teachers and charter advocates urge plan after Acero closes two campuses
Summary
Dozens of parents, teachers and charter leaders urged the Chicago Board of Education on March 5 to provide clear transition plans after Acero charter operator announced closures affecting Octavio Paz (Paz) and another campus, while praising the board for saving five other Acero campuses.
Get email alerts on the Acero School Closures topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of parents, teachers and charter advocates used the board's public-participation period on March 5 to press the Chicago Board of Education for clearer transition plans after Acero charter operator announced closures affecting two campuses that had previously been expected to remain open.
Speakers described shock and uncertainty at the timing: Micah Thurston, a teacher at Octavio Paz Elementary, said the board's December 20 resolution had given the community “false hope” that Acero would maintain Paz through the 2025–26 school year and asked, “Can you tell us or explain how and why did that part of the resolution get removed during last week's meeting?”
The appeals included several parents and teachers who said Acero had reduced investment at Paz and another campus over years. Caroline Rutherford, vice chair of the CTU Charter Division and a visual-art teacher at Acero Marquez, thanked the 16 board members who voted to keep five Acero schools open and said, “To the 3 board members who voted no, you will be remembered by our communities for turning your backs on us just like Acero.” She and other speakers urged the board to press Acero to keep Paz and Cruz open for one more year to preserve continuity for about 482 students and to require stronger charter-contract consequences when operators close schools midterm.
Parents asked the district to honor commitments and to provide concrete timelines for placement and supports. Maricela Lopez, a parent at Acero Paz, said families had not signed up for GoCPS because they believed their schools would remain open and asked the board, “Will CPS listen to the families at Paz and Cruz about what they need moving forward?”
Supporters of charter renewal reform urged the board to require clearer contract language that would compel operators to return reserve funds if they close schools midterm and to include guarantees for staff and students’ transitions. Kekantha (spelled in the record as Kekantha) Harris of the Illinois Network of Charter Schools said renewal policy should be “fair, transparent, and equitable,” urging longer renewal terms for high-performing charters.
The board did not vote on a remedy during the agenda review meeting. CEO Pedro Martinez responded to a board question that his team is working on transition plans and that parents will be contacted, but gave no detailed timeline on March 5. Board Member Lopez asked district staff to coordinate with community organizations and offer support for families in affected wards.
The public-comment period on this issue will be followed by formal agenda items at the regular board meeting on March 20, when the board will consider related contract and renewal actions.

