Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Noise topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Lakewood residents urge action after nightly car clubs, vandalism at Colonial Plaza on Motor Avenue

5775681 · August 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents and a pastor told city council that frequent car-club gatherings on Motor Avenue are causing vandalism, loud noise and safety concerns; council approved a consent appointment of a resident who raised the issue to the Public Safety Advisory Committee and said it will follow up.

Several residents and a local pastor told the Lakewood City Council on Aug. 18 that coordinated nighttime gatherings of car clubs at Colonial Plaza on Motor Avenue are creating persistent noise, vandalism and safety problems that make neighbors and business owners feel unsafe.

At the council meeting, Rick Wright, pastor of Lakewood United Pentecostal Church, said vandalism, graffiti, drug paraphernalia, people on rooftops and thefts from air-conditioning units have increased in recent months, and that some church members now feel unsafe coming to evening services. “We’ve had to repair AC, again, this last week because of copper being stolen from the AC units,” Wright said.

Resident Charice Martin told the council she has documented recurring gatherings promoted on social media and collected signatures from nearby businesses and residents asking for enforcement. She asked for speed bumps, increased patrols, enforcement of the city’s noise ordinance and restricted motor vehicle access after 10 p.m. “They park for hours in the parking spots designated for businesses and up on the sidewalk,” Martin said. Sharon Parsha and Christina Manetti, neighbors who live across from Little Church on the Prairie, described late-night fireworks, engine roars and drivers blocking residents’ vehicles in the street, and said elderly neighbors feel intimidated and unsafe.

The council adopted the consent agenda, which included motion 2025-58 appointing Charice Martin to serve on the Public Safety Advisory Committee; Councilmember Brandstetter noted Martin’s activism during his remarks and praised her for “walking the walk.” Mayor Jason Whalen told speakers the council had heard the complaints before and pledged follow-up: “We’re going to address that for sure.”

City staff and council members discussed possible next steps during council comments, including increased police monitoring at problem times, exploring signage or no‑loitering measures, and coordinating with property owners. No new ordinance or immediate enforcement change was adopted during the meeting; residents asked the city for a timely response and for information about what specific enforcement tools the police and code staff can use.

The meeting record shows public comment, the consent appointment of Martin to the Public Safety Advisory Committee and council discussion; the council did not vote on new regulations or changes to the noise ordinance at the Aug. 18 meeting. Residents said they will continue to press for follow-up and asked the city to coordinate enforcement, property-owner trespass options and possible event-permit requirements for recurring gatherings.

Council members said they expected staff or the police chief to follow up with details and next steps after the meeting.