Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Homeless Encampments topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Resident reports repeated vehicle break-ins, makeshift encampment behind Skate City; council members promise review

5756372 · August 5, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Resident Steve Harris told the Poplar Bluff City Council that three vehicles on his street were broken into and described a makeshift homeless encampment behind Skate City. Council members said they will investigate through code enforcement and attempt to contact the property owner.

Resident Steve Harris told the Poplar Bluff City Council on Aug. 4 that three vehicles on his street have been broken into since July 4 and described a makeshift shelter behind Skate City that he said was constructed from pallets and covered with tarpaulins. The council heard that at least one person had been arrested after an officer visited the site. “Since July 4, we've had three vehicles broken into on our street,” Harris said, noting one of the incidents occurred on the night of a wedding celebration. He added that neighbors now lock car doors and that a neighbor who placed a “no trespassing” sign was intimidated by people at the site and no longer walks near it. Why it matters: the report raises public-safety and quality-of-life concerns for residents near West Pine and the Skate City area and prompted council members to discuss code enforcement and contacting the landowner. Council members and staff discussed next steps but did not take a formal vote. A council member told Harris the city would pursue a combination of code enforcement and contact with the property owner or her guardian; the council member said the report from Harris provided “enough that we can move on it.” Harris said the property owner is an elderly woman who lives elsewhere and is in a nursing home. Harris described the site as a brush-filled lot about 75 yards off West Pine on the north side of the street, near a cell tower. He told the council he had reported the situation previously and that an officer named Sutton had returned and made at least one arrest. Harris also said he was told by others that an ordinance exists prohibiting tents without permits. What city officials said: a council member said they would begin by inspecting the site and try to contact the owner or guardian; the mayor offered to visit the location the following day. No formal directive or motion was recorded; the discussion was treated as a citizen input item and a staff follow-up was promised. Details and limits: speakers described theft of several shopping carts and an allegedly stolen grill; Harris said Walmart had declined to prosecute thefts of carts, and he estimated the carts at about $900 each as a retail value per cart. The council did not provide a timetable or specific code-enforcement action at the meeting. Next steps: a council member said they would start with a site visit and follow-up with code enforcement and owner contact. The meeting record does not show a formal complaint filed by the property owner or a formal enforcement action taken at the Aug. 4 session.