Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Comment Event Venues topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Prospective Florissant business owner questions apparent ban on new event venues
Summary
A prospective business owner told the council she was told event spaces are no longer allowed in Florissant and asked the council to clarify the policy after difficulty reaching the building commissioner.
Get email alerts on the Public Comment Event Venues topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
During the public-comment portion of the Jan. 27 meeting, Jessica Jones Bay of St. Ann identified herself as a prospective business owner and said she was exploring leasing space in Florissant to open an event venue.
Jones Bay said she contacted the building commissioner and was told the city no longer allows new event spaces and that only two existing venues are grandfathered; she said she later observed an event space that opened last year and therefore had conflicting information. She described a perceived “hole” in the market for an upscale event venue in Florissant and said residents currently travel to St. Charles for luxury event spaces.
Jones Bay asked whether event venues are truly banned, what reasons the council had for any such policy, whether documented issues supported the restriction and whether the policy might be revisited to allow responsible event businesses to operate. She also said she had attempted follow-up calls to the building commissioner but had not received a return call.
Council members did not take action during public comment; the mayor and council did not announce a formal response at the meeting. Jones Bay concluded by asking the council or staff to direct her to the appropriate process if she should pursue a request or appeal.

