Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Cypress City Council approves consent calendar; midyear report recommends plan to allocate $3.6 million in leftover pandemic funds
Summary
At its Feb. 10 meeting the Cypress City Council approved its consent calendar, which included a midyear budget report proposing a plan to allocate $3.6 million remaining from the pandemic recovery plan. Council and members of the public also discussed a $54 alarm registration fee and staffing questions about outreach contracts.
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Cypress City Council unanimously approved its consent calendar, items 1 through 8, at the Feb. 10 meeting, a motion the mayor moved and the council carried 4-0.
Council finance staff told the council the midyear budget report recommends closing the city’s multi-year pandemic recovery plan and allocating the $3,600,000 remaining from that plan to six projects. “The recommendation of the report is to close out the pandemic recovery plan … the remaining funds, which are $3,600,000, will be allocated to six different projects,” a city staff member identified in the meeting transcript as Mr. Burton said. Burton added the funds are “unrestricted. It is general fund monies, and there are no strings attached to that.”
Mayor Burke and council members emphasized that the report outlines a plan only and does not approve any project spending tonight. Burton told the council that the proposals will be brought forward as part of future budget decisions, capital-improvement programs and strategic plans.
Public commenters raised separate concerns tied to consent items. Resident Beth Culver said she was “alarmed” by the report and questioned how transfers into and out of the general fund are tracked. Edwin Kramer asked whether the PR firm Townsend Public Affairs was being used for outreach tied to a water-pump project and whether a competitive bid process had been followed. Resident Bob Youngsma criticized a proposed alarm-permitting fee as “stealing my money.”
Council members asked staff for clarifications during the consent discussion. Council member Chang asked about the alarm registration cost; staff said the fee for fiscal year 2024–25 is $54. Chang suggested the council could consider waiving the fee and absorbing the cost in a future budget process. The council did not take separate action on the fee beyond approving the consent calendar.
Votes at a glance
- Consent calendar (items 1–8): Approved, motion moved by Mayor Burke, second not specified; carried unanimously, 4–0. Includes items described below when specified. - Item 3 — Midyear Budget Report: Accepted as a report/plan; no appropriations approved tonight. Staff said $3,600,000 in pandemic-recovery funds would be allocated to six projects and considered in future budgets/CIPs/strategic plans. - Item 8 — Alarm permitting/registration: Approved as part of the consent calendar; staff stated FY24–25 registration fee is $54; council discussion suggested possibility of reviewing or waiving the fee during the budget process.
Why it matters
The council’s action moves the midyear budget report and other consent items forward as city business; the midyear report sets a framework for spending remaining pandemic-recovery funds but does not commit the city to specific projects tonight. The alarm-fee discussion and questions about outreach contracts reflect constituent concerns the council asked staff to track and may influence future budget or procurement decisions.
