Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Family Safety Center topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Merriam council approves $10,000 donation to Johnson County Family Safety Center
Summary
The Merriam City Council voted 8-0 to contribute $10,000 as seed funding to help start a Johnson County Family Safety Center; Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe outlined services the center would provide.
Get email alerts on the Family Safety Center topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Merriam City Council unanimously approved a $10,000 donation to the Johnson County Family Safety Center Foundation on a voice vote Thursday.
Johnson County District Attorney Steve Howe urged the council to join neighboring cities in providing seed money to start a one-stop facility for victims of violence. “Good evening. My name's Steve Howe. I'm Johnson County District Attorney,” Howe said at the council podium before outlining services the center would offer.
Howe described the center as a single location where survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse and elder abuse could receive legal help, medical exams, interviews with law enforcement, daycare and referrals to housing and other social services. “What a Family Safety Center is, is a one stop shop for victims of violence,” Howe said. He told the council his office files about 7,000 cases a year, with roughly 1,500 to 1,700 domestic violence filings among them, and that Merriam accounted for about 85 domestic violence filings last year.
Why it matters: Howe said centers of this model help keep victims engaged with services even if they do not pursue criminal charges; he cited experience in other counties where many people who visit a family safety center do not end up filing criminal charges but still receive services that can reduce future harm. He told the council the consulting group Hope Alliance would charge about $80,000 to facilitate planning and recommended Merriam’s seed contribution be in the $5,000–$10,000 range. The council approved a $10,000 donation at the meeting.
Council action and next steps: Council Member Haynes moved the donation; the motion was seconded by Mister Herr. The clerk recorded an 8–0 vote in favor. Howe said larger cities have already committed or are considering larger contributions, and he expects additional asks from the Family Safety Center effort as the planning and operating budget are developed.
Quotes and context: Howe said the county already works with partner agencies — SafeHome, Sunflower House and MOCSA — and that law enforcement and prosecutorial staff are represented on the center’s board. “Half of the people that come to those safety centers don't actually follow through with filing criminal charges,” he said, adding that serving those people still “breaks the cycle of violence.”
What the council recorded: The clerk recorded aye votes from Council members Kuzmaier, Hans, Bridal, LaHaye, Reiter, Silvers, Yodrich and Chavetta; the motion passed 8–0.
Ending: Howe told the council he and the Family Safety Center board would follow up with participating cities about timing and future funding requests. The council’s $10,000 is intended to help pay for the Hope Alliance facilitation and the planning phase.

