Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Crematorium topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Robbinsville residents urge board to block proposed crematorium; board says legal options limited
Summary
Robbinsville residents urged the Board of Education on Feb. 20 to take immediate action to stop a proposed crematorium located near district schools, saying state permitting and a looming cemetery board review could allow the project to proceed before new legislation can take effect.
Get email alerts on the Crematorium topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Robbinsville residents urged the Board of Education on Feb. 20 to take immediate action to stop a proposed crematorium located near district schools, saying state permitting and a looming cemetery board review could allow the project to proceed before new legislation can take effect.
The comments came during a lengthy public‑comment period in which multiple residents said they had mobilized canvassing, signs and fundraising and asked the board to be ready to pursue legal or legislative remedies. Several speakers told the board that time was short because the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) meeting was scheduled for March 4 and the New Jersey Cemetery Board could consider the project on April 10.
Why it matters: speakers said the crematorium would affect student health, property values and community confidence in the schools and asked the board to act now rather than wait for later meetings.
Residents pressed the board to be “ready to do things legally,” to call state lawmakers daily and to use the board’s influence to slow or block permitting. Amanda Gruber, who said she attended a recent Senate committee hearing, told the board “we need this board to do more” and asked members to prepare legal steps in advance so action could be swift if the DEP permit were approved.
Other residents described neighborhood canvassing and fundraising efforts and said they were running out of time and resources. Gunda Magasa said organizers had raised roughly $3,000 and that “we are tapped out and we really need you to step up.”
Board response and actions: Superintendent Patrick Pizzo said the district had written to the DEP requesting a postponement because pending state legislation could affect the review; he said that request was rejected. Pizzo told the board he planned to attend the DEP meeting in person and read the board’s position into the record, saying: “I will be there in person myself to read into the record the board’s position. Right? I’ll — I’ll stay for the whole meeting, and I’ll — I’ll do — I’ll do my part.”
Board members said they had pursued legal avenues and that a previously filed motion was rejected. Several board members urged continued legislative outreach to state senators and assembly members and recommended moving further discussion into committee work so the board could coordinate next steps without delaying other agenda business.
No formal board action to file new litigation or to authorize specific expenditures was recorded during the public meeting. Board members said they would continue phone and email outreach to lawmakers, attend the DEP meeting, and consider committee review of additional measures.
The public comment period and subsequent board discussion stretched over roughly an hour and a half of the meeting; residents repeatedly asked the board to be prepared to act if the DEP permit is approved.
What’s next: the DEP meeting on March 4 and the New Jersey Cemetery Board meeting on April 10 were cited repeatedly as the near‑term deadlines residents feared could allow the project to proceed. Board members said they would continue outreach to state officials and would present further legal or committee options if new information from DEP or the legislature emerges.

