Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Warehouse Von Karman topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Irvine council continues appeal of proposed 541,000-sq.-ft. warehouse at Von Karman and Alton

5110911 · January 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The City Council voted 4-2 on Jan. 28 to continue an appeal of the Planning Commission’s approval for a two-building warehouse complex at Alton Parkway and Von Karman Avenue, sending the matter back for more review and for parties to try to resolve outstanding access and neighborhood-compatibility concerns.

The Irvine City Council on Jan. 28 continued an appeal of the Planning Commission’s approval for a proposed 541,340-square-foot warehouse complex at Alton Parkway and Von Karman Avenue, setting the matter for further consideration on Feb. 11.

The proposal would demolish nine existing buildings on a roughly 25-acre site in Planning Area 36 and build two single-story tilt-up concrete warehouses with associated landscaping and parking. Community Development staff said the project includes about 185,000 square feet of landscaping and that an environmental addendum did not identify any new significant impacts beyond those in the certified Irvine Business Complex environmental report.

“The addendum did not identify any new significant impacts not previously addressed in the certified IBC environmental impact report,” Senior Planner Hernandez Santos told the council during the staff presentation.

Opponents urged the council to slow the process and address truck routes, noise, air quality and how truck access would sit opposite existing housing along Alton Parkway. Several neighbors and community groups said a large, 24/7 warehouse operation is inconsistent with the city’s recently updated general plan vision for a mixed-use, walkable Irvine Business Complex. “These warehouses are enormous,” resident John Brock said. “You can’t build a vibrant walkable neighborhood with a giant warehouse in the middle of it.”

Supporters, including construction-trades representatives and several hotel and industrial owners, said the project would create construction and permanent jobs and meet demand for modern industrial space. “This project is crucial for our region, offering significant economic benefits and sustainable growth,” said Ben Seibold, who described a long career in commercial real estate.

The applicant’s attorney, Sean Matzler, also told council members the Planning Commission approved the project Nov. 20, 2024, and said the appellant withdrew an earlier appeal on Dec. 31; however, staff advised the council that municipal code keeps the Planning Commission decision in abeyance while the appeal process is open, so the council must consider the matter. Matzler said the city’s own past practice had treated withdrawn appeals as final, a point the city’s special counsel disputed as inconsistent with the current zoning code language.

Faced with conflicting legal and policy questions and intense public interest, the council voted to continue the matter to the Feb. 11 meeting to give staff, the applicant and community members time to provide additional information and attempt to resolve outstanding issues. The continuation passed 4-2. Council members Larry Agron, William Goh, Melinda Liu and an additional yes vote supported the continuation; Councilmember Carroll and Vice Mayor James Mai voted no.

At the Feb. 11 hearing council will again consider staff analyses, the applicant’s access study and any supplemental mitigation measures, including truck restrictions and landscaping or design changes to reduce visibility and noise toward adjacent neighborhoods.

The council’s decision to continue preserves the Planning Commission’s approval in abeyance while the parties pursue further analysis and potential changes.