Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Works topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Milford council authorizes $500,000 change order for 2024 utility and street rehabilitation contract
Summary
Council approved a $500,000 change order to the 2024 utility/street rehabilitation contract to cover additional roads and storm-drain work; staff said remaining contingency and prior underspend made the additional work possible.
Get email alerts on the Public Works topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Milford City Council authorized a $500,000 change order on April 28 to the city’s 2024 utility and street rehabilitation contract with Eastern States Construction. The action was approved unanimously, 8-0.
Public works staff told the council the original contract award was $6,166,163 and that, as of the March invoice, about $3,000,000 had been spent. The initial engineering estimate identified $4,131,000 in base scope plus approximately $2,000,000 in contingency to cover unknowns that can arise when excavating decades-old infrastructure; staff said the project has come in under some estimates and that the remaining contingency and savings allow additional work to be added now.
The change order covers additional concrete and paving work on Ken Place, pavement and infrastructure on Limestone and Buccaneer Boulevard, a suspected collapsed storm pipe at Southeast Second and Rehoboth Boulevard, and storm-structure replacements and leak repair on Northwest Front (100 block). Public works said it expects to engage a third-party inspection firm to verify the Southeast Second storm drainage estimate before work proceeds.
Council members pressed for dollar clarity during discussion; staff reiterated that the additional $500,000 request would still leave significant savings relative to the city’s original budget assumptions. The motion passed 8-0.
Next steps: staff will execute the change order, engage a third-party inspector for the storm-drain estimate, and schedule the work to minimize disruption ahead of the middle school opening in the fall.
