Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks And Recreation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Milford officials review Deep Creek park plan as residents voice safety, access and funding concerns

5082704 · May 14, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Milford parks staff presented a multi-phase plan and construction estimates for Deep Creek Park, a 19.4-acre site the city bought in 2021. Officials and residents debated safety, connectivity and grant constraints; state grants require the land remain in public recreation use unless the Delaware General Assembly approves conversion.

Milford parks officials presented a review of the proposed Deep Creek Park on city-owned land and outlined construction cost estimates, grant money already awarded and constraints attached to those grants.

The presentation and public comments made clear why the debate matters: the city has spent public funds to buy and design the site and state grants require the land’s use for public outdoor recreation. Parks and Recreation Director Brad Dennehy told the council he will carry out whatever the mayor and council decide.

Dennehy said the city purchased 19.4 acres of vacant farmland in 2021 for $555,000, funded mostly from general fund reserves. Since then the city has won multiple state grants for design and construction, including an initial $60,000 ORPT (Outdoor Recreation Parks and Trails) grant toward the purchase; $250,000 and $200,000 from successive Community Reinvestment Fund (state bond bill) rounds; a $62,500 ORPT award in 2023; a $200,000 Community Transportation Fund award; and an additional $125,000 ORPT award now pending. Dennehy said the city has received about $837,500 in state funds tied to the project and that some awards carry multi‑year deadlines — money awarded in 2023 generally must be used by 2026 unless an extension is granted.

Dennehy presented construction cost estimates prepared by consultants and a contractor and broken into three phases. The packet shows an aggregate construction estimate in the low millions; Dennehy summarized the total at roughly $3.4 million including contingency and roughly $3.0 million without contingency. He said Phase 1 would include an entry road and parking, initial trails and utilities (a water tap on Rehoboth Boulevard if needed). Phase 2 would add restrooms, playground equipment and a pavilion; Phase 3 would consider courts, landscaping and further recreational amenities. Dennehy estimated a realistic multi‑year timeline — roughly five years or more to complete later phases, and said the first phase alone would likely require additional funding beyond existing grants.

Public commenters and a written letter from an outlying resident urged both support and caution. Julie Morris, a Milford resident who spoke by phone, cited survey results and urged council to prioritize utilities, economy and safety ahead of parks. Tom Chilton said he wants the parcel kept as parkland and emphasized picnic facilities for residents who live in apartments. Annette Billings, a nearby resident, said the site is “dark” and “not the place for a park,” citing crash history on Rehoboth Boulevard and concerns about visibility and safety. A written submission from Terry Rogers of Lincoln urged the council to move forward, saying the park would serve nearby communities and citing state bicycle‑pedestrian plans that could connect the site.

Dennehy also reviewed legal constraints tied to ORPT grants and related state agreements, noting two clauses in the grant contract that say land acquired or developed with ORPT assistance “shall remain in public outdoor recreation or conservation uses in perpetuity” and that conversion of the land would require prior written approval by the Delaware General Assembly. He told the council that returning grant funds or changing the land’s use would likely require legal work and legislative action and that he is not aware of a prior example of reversing an ORPT conversion requirement.

Council members asked for clarification about what the ORPT language requires, the exact amounts and deadlines of grant awards, how much the city already has budgeted for design and construction, and whether an MOU with police or other safety measures could address concerns about policing and response time for a site outside city limits. Dennehy said the city’s finance and legal staff and the solicitor will be asked to provide details, and he said staff will supply a summary of what has already been budgeted in the CIP before the council’s next meeting.

Dennehy said a ratification item for one pending $125,000 agreement will appear on the May 27 agenda and asked the council for direction at that meeting about whether to move forward; he repeated that, if directed, he will proceed to implement the project. He also said the city may apply for another ORPT award this grant cycle (deadline noted by Dennehy as the coming Friday) but that submitting an application is not a binding commitment to build.

The council did not take action in the workshop. The city manager and solicitor will be asked to supply written advice about grant constraints, available CIP funding and the practical steps required to return or reallocate grant money, and the topic will be on the May 27 agenda for a formal direction.

Dennehy closed by repeating he serves the council and will implement whatever direction the elected body gives on the park project.