Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Food Insecurity topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Food Bank of Delaware tells Sussex County one in six children face food insecurity; urges continued county support
Summary
Chad Robinson of the Food Bank of Delaware briefed council on rising food insecurity in Sussex County, detailed distribution programs and warned of reduced USDA deliveries that will cut roughly 900,000 meals statewide this fiscal year.
Get email alerts on the Food Insecurity topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chad Robinson, vice president of external affairs for the Food Bank of Delaware, told Sussex County Council on May 13 that hunger and food insecurity have risen and that the Food Bank continues pandemic-era levels of distribution.
Robinson said about "1 in 8 Delawareans and 1 in 6 Delaware children" are currently food insecure and described programs operating in Sussex County that delivered over 1.8 million pounds of food last year, equivalent to about 2.2 million meals.
Why it matters: Robinson said reductions in USDA commodity deliveries—about a 29% cut in anticipated trucks for the fiscal year—will remove roughly 900,000 meals and $1.1 million in product from the state's food supply unless the Food Bank covers the shortfall through purchases or donations.
Programs and local impact
Robinson outlined a range of Food Bank programs in Sussex County: partner food closets, a backpack weekend meal program (tens of thousands of packs distributed statewide, 75,000 backpacks in Sussex County last year), mobile pantries (324 mobile events in Sussex County last year, over 9,000 household visits and about 970,000 meals distributed), home-delivery to more than 4,000 households in the county, and a senior nutrition supplemental box program servicing over 4,000 seniors monthly.
The Food Bank also operates a 3.5-acre garden in Milford and reported growing over 18,000 pounds of produce last year to supplement distributions. Robinson described workforce and community-development programs (culinary and warehousing training, Stand By Me financial coaching, benefits outreach and nutrition education) designed to reduce long-term need.
Council response and context
Councilmembers acknowledged the scale of need and local partners that witness demand firsthand. Councilmember Riley, referencing local charitable partners, said increased electric bills are a common trigger for people seeking food assistance: "we see that, and then it comes down to, you know, do we want electricity or do we, you know, pay the rent or do we, you know, buy food?" Robinson said the Food Bank has been distributing at near-pandemic levels and urged continued county support.
Operational pressures
Robinson said more than 50% of the Food Bank's food last year came from USDA product and explained the organization is purchasing more food than ever to fill gaps caused by USDA reductions. He estimated the lost USDA trucks translate to about $1.1 million worth of food product and about 900,000 fewer meals over the fiscal year unless replaced.
Ending
Robinson thanked the county for prior support and asked for continued partnership to sustain distribution and workforce programs. The presentation did not result in a formal council action at the May 13 meeting.
