Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Comment Safety Records topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parent urges independent review, alleges repeated safety and records failures at Marion City Schools
Summary
A Marion parent told the board the district failed to document classroom evacuations, notify parents, preserve video evidence and improperly invoked FERPA; he asked the board to commission an independent review of safety documentation and public records handling.
Get email alerts on the Public Comment Safety Records topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
A Marion parent on April 28 asked the Marion City Schools Board of Education to commission an independent review after alleging repeated failures by the district to follow safety‑notification, behavior‑management and public‑records procedures.
At the meeting, parent and taxpayer Owen Oswald said his family experienced “a pattern of serious failures” including omitted documentation of classroom evacuations, missing functional behavioral assessments and no timely parent notification following emergency evacuations. Oswald said the failures involved one classroom at George Washington Elementary and that evacutions occurred seven times in the incident series he described.
Oswald also told the board he had been denied or told video used for discipline and law‑enforcement purposes had been withheld or destroyed in response to his public‑records requests. He named Ohio’s public‑records statutes (ORC 149.43 and 149.351) and cited Ohio Revised Code 3313.536, which he said requires parent notification procedures in school emergency management plans. He also said the district had misapplied FERPA to withhold otherwise permissible safety information.
“Accordingly, this email serves as our final correspondence with you regarding this matter. No further responses will be provided by me or any member of the Marion City School staff,” Oswald read from a district email he received and then asked the board to order an independent review of public‑records handling, safety documentation and retention practices.
Superintendent Brian Murphy briefly interjected during Oswald’s comments to note the district’s public‑records process and that the matter was still “playing out,” and the board chair reminded Oswald the board allows three minutes for public participation. The transcript contains no board action or formal reply that created a review or an investigatory directive during the meeting.
Why it matters The complaint, if accurate, raises questions about how safety incidents are recorded, whether parents were notified in accordance with state law and whether the district retained records in compliance with Ohio public‑records statutes. The parent requested an independent review; the board did not accept or deny that request during the meeting.
Clarifying details from the public comment - Reported number of classroom evacuations: seven (Oswald said evacuations occurred seven times in the specific classroom). - Location mentioned: George Washington Elementary (classroom‑level issue cited by Oswald). - Records cited as withheld or destroyed: video footage used for discipline and law‑enforcement/diversion purposes (Oswald said this was indicated in district emails he received). - Statutes referenced by the speaker: ORC 3313.536; ORC 149.43 and ORC 149.351; FERPA was referenced as a federal privacy law the speaker said was being misapplied.
Board action No motion, vote, or formal investigatory directive was recorded in the meeting minutes on April 28. The parent’s request for an independent review therefore remains a public request pending further administrative or board action.
Ending Oswald closed by asking the board to act in the interests of “lawful governance, community trust, and the best interest of every student in the district.” The board acknowledged the comment and moved on to the next agenda item.

