Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Hudson planning board closes public hearing on Colarusso dock; residents press for strict truck, dust and monitoring conditions

3583275 · May 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City of Hudson planning board members closed the public hearing on an application by Colarusso (Colarusso & Sons) for a conditional use permit to continue and regulate operations at its commercial dock on the Hudson waterfront, following more than two hours of public comment and presentations from applicant counsel and local residents.

City of Hudson planning board members closed the public hearing on an application by Colarusso (Colarusso & Sons) for a conditional use permit to continue and regulate operations at its commercial dock on the Hudson waterfront, following more than two hours of public comment and presentations from applicant counsel and local residents.

The hearing opened with the applicant’s attorney, T.J. Romaine of White Man Osterman, who said the 2016 bulkhead repair "was completed in 2016 in compliance with state and federal permits" and that the repair did not expand operations. Romaine told the board the repair was a Type 2 action and urged the planning board to limit its review to conditions related to that repair and to avoid imposing broader restrictions on dock operations.

Why it matters: residents and waterfront businesses said the dock’s truck traffic, dust, noise and potential handling of new or hazardous materials threaten public health, waterfront revitalization plans and local commerce. Speakers asked the board to impose clear, enforceable conditions — including trip caps, operating hours, dust mitigation, screening and independent air monitoring — before any final permit is granted.

Residents and businesses said they are not seeking to close the dock but want limits to protect the waterfront’s recreational and commercial uses. Alexandria (Alex) Madero, a Hudson resident and First Ward candidate, said, "we are not here tonight to ask you to shut down... That is not why we're here." Multiple speakers echoed that sentiment while urging conditions to preserve waterfront access and economic activity.

Public commenters cited data and prior studies. Donna Streis, representing "Bar Hudson Waterfront," said a 2020 study showed truck volume "almost tripled from 2015 to 2019," and noted that operational days reported by the operator were far lower than potential maximums. Several speakers requested that any approval include a strict annual trip cap and daily limits tied to an agreed baseline (the code references operations as of the effective date in February 2011).

Speakers asked for specific conditions the planning board can impose under local law. Suggested measures included: limiting truck traffic to weekday business hours, setting an enforceable daily or annual trip limit (residents proposed numbers such as 100 trips per day or retaining previously approved caps such as 284 trips/day but limited to specified operating days), mandating dust-control measures and paving/loading area improvements, installing a 50-foot tree buffer along the eastern property line, prohibiting export or handling of particularly fine particulates (e.g., limestone) or hazardous wastes without a separate review, and requiring independent, continuous air-quality and noise monitoring with public reporting and enforceable penalties.

Community members and local organizations described impacts to daily life and events. Melissa Offmower, cofounder of Basilica Hudson and a First Ward resident, said the waterfront venues bring thousands of visitors and that unchecked industrial traffic would harm local festivals and small businesses that employ residents and pay taxes. Adam Weinert, executive director of the Hudson Sloop Club speaking for the Hudson River Coalition, urged eight specific conditions (limiting truck hours, banning hazardous refuse transfers without prior approval, requiring tree buffers and paving, protecting public access, and restoring culverts), and offered grants and partnership ideas to support mitigation.

Several speakers stressed public-health concerns for children and vulnerable residents. Yves Jacques (Third Ward) and others cited the need for an independent health and air-quality impact assessment and continuous monitoring tied to trip levels and mitigation; Jacques said, "If this board approves a permit like this, you have to, at a minimum, require an independent environmental and health impact assessment."

Legal and procedural context was contested. The applicant’s counsel argued the board’s scope is limited to conditions tied to the 2016 repair. Other attorneys and a former city attorney told the board the repair triggered a requirement for a comprehensive conditional use permit covering continued dock operations. William Demarest and former City Attorney Ken Dow both told the board the local code and subsequent court rulings require broader review and authorize the imposition of conditions to protect residents and park users. Demarest referenced zoning-code authority (board authority to impose conditions to "protect the health, safety, and welfare of residents"). Ken Dow emphasized the code’s 2011 baseline for continued dock operations and said the board must determine compliance against that baseline.

Board action and next steps: Planning board member Theresa Jordan moved to close the public hearing and leave a 14-day window for written comments; the motion was placed on the table and the board discussed scheduling a possible continued in-person public hearing if the board elects to reopen the oral-comment format. The board announced the public hearing was closed and that the board would continue to accept written comments through the end of the comment period (the board stated a deadline for written submissions). The board also discussed, without a final binding vote on that option recorded in the transcript, holding an in-person continuation on June 3 at 6:30 p.m. if venue logistics allow.

What the board heard but did not decide tonight: the board did not adopt permit conditions, set trip caps, or close the application. Several speakers explicitly asked the board to require updated permits or approvals from state agencies (New York State Department of Transportation, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) tied to current truck volumes and proposed operations.

The board will compile written comments and related submissions, and board members indicated they will review the record and potential conditions before any formal determination on the conditional use permit. The planning board did not announce a date for a final decision.

Ending note: dozens of residents, business owners and nonprofit representatives urged the planning board to prioritize enforceable, measurable conditions — not only to protect health and recreation but to preserve the waterfront’s long-term economic and cultural value to Hudson.