Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Student Safety Mental Health topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Parents and staff describe assaults and mental‑health gaps; superintendent pledges threat assessments and follow‑up

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple public commenters raised cases of student assault, social‑worker practices, and lack of consistent mental‑health supports; superintendent explained threat‑assessment procedures, said incident investigations are underway and described possible exclusions and expanded options for students at risk.

Detroit — Several parents and community members used the Detroit Public Schools Community District board’s public comment period on May 13 to describe student assaults, concerns about school social‑worker questioning and reports that students were removed from school pending additional therapy. They asked for swifter protective action and clearer protocols; the superintendent described threat‑assessment procedures and pledged follow‑up.

One commenter, speaking through an interpreter, described a 10‑year‑old student at Roberto Clemente Elementary who has been excluded from school since April 14 after school staff requested an emergency psychiatric evaluation. The parent said she had obtained multiple letters from outside clinicians saying the child was well enough to return, but that the school continued to require on‑site therapy and had not provided a resolution. The parent asked who supervises the social workers and how the district reviews their practice.

Other commenters described assaults at Amelia Earhart and the Academy of the Americas, including video evidence of a cafeteria assault and repeated outside‑of‑school attacks. One commenter said several attackers had been arrested after an incident at Earhart and were facing exclusion or expulsion. Complainants said they were frustrated by what they described as slow or inconsistent follow‑up from school staff and by confusion over the district’s conduct levels and when exclusion or expulsion is triggered.

Superintendent (Dr. Vidi) told the board the district conducts threat assessments to evaluate credibility and risk and to weigh student safety and privacy. “We do a threat assessment with every threat. We determine, the credibility of the threat, the likelihood of the threat, the extent of the threat,” he said, and pledged to update the board privately on individual cases where privacy rules apply. He said one Earhart incident led to arrests and pending expulsions, and that the district can increase staff or police presence near schools and work directly with families.

The superintendent also noted the district revised its code of conduct to allow principals more discretion to move more quickly to exclusionary discipline where appropriate, while also offering alternatives such as virtual schooling for students who are perpetually involved in or subject to violent incidents. Board members asked for better parent outreach, mental‑health supports and clarity on how many times an offense must occur before escalation. Several speakers also asked the district not to cut mental‑health hotlines and counseling budgets.

The board did not take formal public action on discipline at the meeting; the superintendent said he would provide follow‑up to individuals and to the board where privacy permits and will continue to work with school leaders on enforcement and supports.