Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Flood Barrier Eminent Domain topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chelsea moves to acquire easements, properties for island and river flood barrier; public hearing set for June 2
Summary
City staff told the Chelsea City Council it will pursue friendly eminent‑domain takings for portions of 145 Market Street and 359 Beecham Street to build an island and river flood barrier, funded by an MVP grant and previously appropriated city matching funds; a public hearing and second reading are scheduled for June 2.
Get email alerts on the Flood Barrier Eminent Domain topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff informed the Chelsea City Council that the administration plans to pursue friendly eminent‑domain takings of property and easements needed to construct the city’s long‑planned island and river flood barrier and that a public hearing and second reading of the order of taking are scheduled for 7 p.m. on June 2.
The communication to the council said the takings would be funded through a Municipal Vulnerability Preparedness (MVP) state grant and city matching funds already appropriated in the capital improvement program. The administration noted prior appraisals have been completed and that, as required by the state grant, the city will not pay more than appraised value.
City staff described two initial takings the administration intends to pursue. For 145 Market Street the administration seeks to acquire the property in fee; the communication states the owner is prepared to accept the independent appraisal (appraised amount for 145 Market Street was presented in the communication but was not clearly specified in the transcript). For 359 Beecham Street the city seeks a permanent easement of about one‑third of an acre (reported as roughly 13,884 square feet) and a temporary construction easement of 3,504 square feet. The communication reported an independent appraisal for 359 Beecham of $937,587 and said the city proposes and the owner is prepared to accept $528,836.49 for the combined easement and fee, leaving an implied donation of $483,007.51 of value by the owner.
The administration told the council the island and river flood barrier project has been advanced in partnership with nearby Everett and has been under work for nearly a decade. Staff said recent loss of a $50 million grant delayed construction timing but did not remove the project from top priority status; design, engineering, and land‑acquisition work are continuing using secured state funds.
Council members moved to accept and file the communication under communications, and later introduced related orders and scheduled the public hearing and second readings for June 2. During the meeting one councilor objected to waiving full readings of the addresses and appraisals but the council proceeded to accept the communication and to set the hearing.
If adopted after the required public hearing and second reading, the takings would give the city the access and ownership rights staff said are necessary to build and maintain the flood barrier and associated infrastructure.

