Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Environmental Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Millville approves $25,000 emergency removal of hazardous materials from Fifteenth Street property after public questions
Summary
The Millville City Commission on Jan. 21, 2025, approved an emergency contract not to exceed $25,000 to remove hazardous materials from a Fifteenth Street warehouse following a professional staff determination the mix required hazardous handling.
Get email alerts on the Environmental Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Millville City Commission on Jan. 21, 2025, approved an emergency contract/purchase order with MXI Environmental Services LLC to collect and dispose of hazardous materials at a Fifteenth Street warehouse, not to exceed $25,000.
The resolution (agenda item 14) passed by roll call; all five commissioners voted yes. Commissioners and staff said the material had been designated hazardous by professional staff and removed before some outreach and alternative-use options could be pursued.
Several members of the public questioned whether the removal and the $25,000 cost were necessary. Paul Pereka, a Millville resident who identified himself as a farmer, said much of the material appeared to be usable: “Big pile of lime, big pile of fertilizer left,” and argued that fertilizer or lime could have been spread on fields or donated rather than disposed of. Anthony DeSantis and other residents echoed concerns that some items appeared to be inventory or product, not waste, and could have been reused.
Technical comments were raised by former Department of Environmental Protection staff and other residents. Tom McGinty, who said he had 20 years with the Department of Environmental Protection, noted that under DEP regulations the fertilizer and lime “wouldn’t be considered a hazardous waste … it’s a solid ID-27,” and said an on-site sample analysis could have identified the 55-gallon drum contents more cheaply.
City officials told the commission the material list included 20 bags of limestone, about 60 bags of fertilizer, a 55-gallon drum labeled flammable and health hazard, a five-gallon bucket of a flammable liquid, cleaning products and partial pallets of sanitizers and wipes (some expired). The commission’s packet listed those items as part of the due-diligence/environmental concerns for the building. The city’s emergency purchase order followed a professional staff determination that the mix included material that required hazardous handling and disposal.
Vice Mayor Watson said he learned of the situation late in the week and that the actual pickup occurred before he could explore alternatives: the material was reported as collected on the Monday after the weekend when city offices were closed for a holiday. Other commenters said internal staff — including the city’s emergency management coordinator and the county health department — could have been asked to test the drum and resolve reuse or reclassification prior to disposal.
The commission voted to approve the emergency contract not to exceed $25,000. The motion record indicates Republic Services provided a competing quote and the awarded vendor was selected to perform the removal; the resolution states the amount is “not to exceed $25,000.” No additional conditions were attached at the meeting. Several residents requested the city follow up with an inventory review and clarify disposal procedures and bidding practices for future removals.

