Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Bridge Replacement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Lake Clarke Shores details bridge replacement planning; staff cite safety, one viable bid and a 310-day contract timeline

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents and council discussed a bridge the town classed as functionally obsolete. Staff said the town received grants in prior years, has one viable construction bid of about $2.45 million and engineering/inspection costs near $190,000; the contract includes a 310-day limit and $1,000-per-day liquidated damages.

A recurring topic in public comment and council discussion Sept. 24 was the planned replacement of a town bridge the state identified as "functionally obsolete." Residents asked why the town moved ahead; staff and council described funding, bid responses and timeline options.

Resident Carol Hassell asked if the bridge had been classified as obsolete and who makes the decision. Town Manager Joe explained the difference between structural and functional ratings: "Well, I'm not an engineer, but it's it's functionally obsolete," he said, adding that the designation meant the structure did not meet current standards and raised potential liability concerns.

Funding and bids: Joe and residents recounted that the town had received roughly $680,000 in state funding earlier and was awarded additional funds that were later vetoed. Joe said one recent viable construction bid came in at about $2,450,000 and that the town had estimated about $190,000 for engineering and inspection, yielding a total project estimate near $2,650,000. Joe also said the town had issued two earlier bids with only two responders each; keeping one lane open significantly increased prior cost estimates.

Timeline, contract terms and oversight: Council discussion noted that the town has not yet issued a formal notice to proceed to a contractor. Council members and staff described contract terms the town plans to use: a 310-day not-to-exceed construction period and liquidated damages of $1,000 per day beyond that. In council comment, President Pro Tem Brigitte Keating said the contractor had assured staff that demolition would be concentrated early in the schedule: "The first 2 months is demo," she said, and the town manager said he planned to issue a notice to proceed shortly.

Public concerns and next steps: Residents repeatedly asked about road closures, staging and neighborhood access during construction. Tim Daughtry and others urged the town to monitor contractor progress daily and to enforce timelines. Council and staff said they would post schedules and updates; the town manager said staff will work to limit staging time in the public right-of-way and that independent inspections and required state oversight will be part of the project.