Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Local Infrastructure Sewer topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Vineland council confirms assessment for Cavallo Drive sewer project after public hearing

3174305 · March 11, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City Council held a public hearing on the Cavallo Drive sewer project, heard multiple residents contesting the assessment and process, and adopted Resolution 2025-128 confirming assessments after a unanimous roll-call vote.

The Vineland City Council on March 11 opened and closed a public hearing on the Cavallo Drive sewer project and adopted a resolution confirming assessments for local improvements.

The council held a public hearing on assessment and local improvements for the Cavallo Drive Sewer Project after the city tax assessor, Brian Conover, reported that the project was complete and that the per-property assessment came in under the original estimate. "The original cost of the project was estimated at $17,591 ... It actually came in at $16,275.54 each," Conover told the council, and said he inspected the street in February and found the work finished.

The hearing drew several Cavallo Drive property owners who raised concerns about whether individual properties had already been connected to sewer service and about the petition and notice process used to initiate the improvement project. Fausto Castro said the property at 2476 Cavallo Drive had sewer service connected in 2012 and presented a construction permit, invoices and checks he said support that claim. Jan Dwyer Lobiondo and Brian Danner described confusion around notice and voting, saying some residents received regular mail rather than certified mail and that at least one resident listed on a petition was already connected via Palermo Avenue. Victor Neshay (also recorded as Nache) alleged a conflict of interest and questioned the authenticity and handling of the original petition used to start the project process.

Council members acknowledged the complaints during the hearing. After public comment, the council closed the hearing and moved to adopt Resolution 2025-128, "a resolution confirming assessment in the matter of local improvements made under ordinance number 2021-75, as amended, Cavallo Drive." The roll-call vote recorded Doctor Arthur, Councilman English, Councilman Gomez, Councilman Vargas and President Spinelli as voting yes; the resolution was adopted.

Why it matters: the resolution finalizes which properties are assessed for the sewer improvements and establishes the per-property assessment amount the city recorded in the assessor's report. Several residents said they believe they were improperly assessed or insufficiently notified; the council accepted the hearing record and adopted the confirmation resolution.

What happens next: the assessor told the council a written report and a map showing where the sewer line connects to each parcel were on file and had been sent to property owners. Residents raised requests that materials submitted at the hearing be attached to the meeting minutes; one speaker asked the solicitor to take the documents "right there." Council members did not reverse the assessment on the dais during the meeting.

Ending: With the resolution adopted, the assessment confirmation is final per the council action on March 11; affected property owners will have the city's assessment and supporting report on file.