Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Industrial Pollution topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents demand shutdown of Kronos concrete facility over dust; city agency says fugitive‑dust plan approved as council pursues downzoning

3066731 · April 8, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Residents living near the Kronos (Crown Enterprises) concrete mixing and crushing operation pressed Detroit City Council on April 8 to force the company to stop or dramatically reduce operations, saying airborne dust from the site is causing illness and making neighborhoods unlivable.

Residents living near the Kronos (also referred to as Crown Enterprises) concrete mixing and crushing operation pressed Detroit City Council on April 8 to force the company to stop or dramatically reduce operations, saying airborne dust from the site is causing illness and making neighborhoods unlivable.

Several residents and neighborhood advocates described ongoing dust clouds, truck noise and traffic near homes and parks that they said are making people sick and endangering children. “This 43‑acre site … does not belong in a residential neighborhood,” said Reverend Sharon Butchery, a board member of the Detroit Hamtramck Coalition for Advancing Healthy Environments. “Silica dust is a result of concrete mixing and causes silicosis, which is a deadly disease,” resident David Bird, an environmental chemist, told the council.

The Buildings/Code office official on the call, Crystal Rogers, said the company has submitted and received an approved fugitive‑dust plan and that BC has reviewed and accepted it. “They do have a plan. We have reviewed it and accepted it. We will continue to work with them to reduce emissions,” Rogers said.

Councilmember Scott Benson, whose district includes the site, told residents his office has engaged on the issue for years and that the plant is a by‑right use under the M‑4 heavy‑industrial zoning that applies to the property. Benson said the administration negotiated property trades that left the facility adjacent to homes and that the council is working to downzone heavy industrial properties that abut residential areas and the Joe Louis Greenway. “A concrete crusher is a by‑right use in an M‑4 district, which is why it’s critical that we downzone property,” Benson said.

Administration staff told the council the plant had previously been shut down for noncompliance and said they are monitoring the situation. City administration representative Malik Washington said he would contact BC to get a response for council by the end of the public comment period and urged residents to report visible fugitive dust to dustdetroitmi.gov or by calling (313) 628‑9994.

Advocates asked the council to deny any street‑closure requests or other permits that would allow the facility to expand, to pursue downzoning of affected parcels citywide where heavy industrial abuts residential, and to require a development plan that aligns with adjacent uses such as the Joe Louis Greenway and local businesses. Andrew Bashe, a staff attorney with the Great Lakes Environmental Law Center, urged immediate action on three items: initiate downzoning, deny Crown’s requests to acquire neighborhood roadways, and create a community‑centered development plan.

Council members said they are meeting with stakeholders and working through zoning and permitting channels. Benson said BC and council staff are already discussing downzoning in that area and that it will be among the first places the city targets for zoning changes.

How the council and administration handle future permit requests, potential street closures and any expansion plans from the company will determine the next steps. Residents said they will continue to press for immediate closures if emissions continue.

Ending: Residents and councilmembers agreed to continue stakeholder meetings; BC asked anyone who sees fugitive dust to report it at dustdetroitmi.gov or (313) 628‑9994 so inspectors can respond and track incidents.