Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Blight Abatement topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council approves emergency demolition of unsafe building at 26111 Brush Avenue

3009214 · February 18, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council adopted an emergency ordinance authorizing asbestos assessment, abatement and demolition of a vacant, deteriorated multi-parcel property at 26111 Brush Avenue; city estimates demolition costs at about $75,000 and said it will seek recovery from owner if possible.

Euclid City Council on Feb. 18 approved an emergency ordinance authorizing asbestos assessment, abatement and demolition of a building and adjacent parking lot owned by R and R 1 LLC at 26111 Brush Avenue and related parcel numbers.

Commissioner Muscatello told council the structure had been declared unsafe and a city condemnation notice was issued on Aug. 28, 2023. Administration recommended demolition and grading of the site; the director said the structure is in disrepair and poses a blight and safety concern for the adjacent neighborhood.

Councilman Toulton asked whether the city could recoup demolition costs from the owner. Law Director Patrick Cooney said the property is the only asset of the LLC, that there is an existing mortgage and back taxes, and that a prosecution case is pending; Cooney said the city might be able to recover some costs following conviction or through negotiations, but recovery is uncertain.

A council member asked for a cost estimate; administration provided a guesstimate of $75,000 to complete demolition and site grading. Council discussed the future of the parcel once demolished; administration said the city is working with the land bank and would coordinate with ward council members and neighborhood stakeholders about potential reuse options, including green space or redevelopment.

Council approved the emergency ordinance, suspended the rules to forego additional readings, and the ordinance passed by council vote at the Feb. 18 meeting. The administration said it will proceed with bidding for asbestos assessment, abatement and demolition and will continue negotiations with the owner and mortgage holder regarding property transfer or cost recovery.