Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Searles Estate topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Methuen council tables resolution to declare Searles Estate surplus, seeks more detail before RFP

2979273 · April 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Methuen City Council delayed action on a resolution to declare the Edward F. Searles Estate surplus and authorize a request for proposals (RFP). The mayor and supporters said a competitive RFP is the best path to preserve the property; some councilors pressed for stronger safeguards, tax protections and a fuller RFP template before any sale.

The Methuen City Council on Monday tabled a resolution that would have declared the Edward F. Searles Estate at 209 Lawrence Street surplus and authorized the city to solicit proposals under Massachusetts procurement law.

The measure, introduced by Councilor Campagnon and seconded by Councilor Ferretra, would have directed the mayor to issue an RFP under Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 30B with requirements for historic preservation and restoration. Mayor Neil Beauregard and members of his Searles Estate advisory committee told the council they favor a competitive process to secure private or public-private investment to restore and preserve the estate while avoiding placing the full restoration burden on Methuen taxpayers.

Supporters said the RFP approach preserves the city’s site-control option and opens the door to partners who could bring the capital needed for ADA upgrades, structural repairs and long-term stewardship. “The committee reached a strong consensus that a request for proposals with specific conditions for private ownership and operation is in the best interest of both the city of Methuen and the long-term historic preservation of the property,” Mayor Beauregard said.

Opponents and several councilors urged stronger protections and more financial detail before declaring the property surplus. Councilor Desaglio and others asked for a written RFP template, an independent appraisal or valuation, a clearer accounting of costs the city has already incurred, and conditions to secure public access and tax revenues. Councilor Desaglio cited city tax estimates and said the property could generate roughly $361,000 annually if placed on the tax rolls; he also urged pilot agreements or payment-in-lieu-of-taxes safeguards for nonprofits.

Public commenters were split. Several residents who previously urged preservation told the council the city should pursue options that ensure restoration without giving the asset away; some asked for guarantees of ongoing public access. Others who had supported acquisition acknowledged the city’s limited fiscal capacity to fund a full $10 million-plus restoration and said private stewardship with preservation covenants could be necessary.

Councilors also debated details already in the record: the administration’s allocation of $250,000 for year-one maintenance and the immediate insurance and ongoing operating costs the city has borne since the November 2024 acquisition. The mayor said insurance costs and deferred-maintenance work—boilers, roof and other urgent repairs—make immediate city ownership as an operating entity financially impractical without a large capital program.

After extended debate and a motion from Councilor Sotto to table the resolution in order to bring back an RFP template and more documentation, the council voted to table the item. The council’s vote to table was recorded as approved during roll call.

The tabling requires the administration to return with the additional materials the council requested—an RFP template, supporting cost and maintenance breakdowns, and clearer preservation restrictions—before the body will consider declaring the estate surplus and issuing an RFP.