Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Right Of Way Abandonment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Kennesaw council approves sale of 25-foot right-of-way at 2995–2997 North Main Street for $12,300
Summary
The City Council approved a resolution to abandon and sell a 25-foot strip of right-of-way adjoining 2995 and 2997 North Main Street for $12,300 after splitting competing appraisals; the vote was 3–1 with one recusal. Property owners who prompted the request said they will submit an offer and discussed maintenance concerns.
Get email alerts on the Right Of Way Abandonment topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Kennesaw City Council voted 3–1 on April 7 to approve the abandonment and sale of a roughly 25-foot-deep strip of right-of-way in front of 2995 and 2997 North Main Street for $12,300, with Council Member Veyers casting the lone no vote and Council Member Madeline Ortena recused.
Council action adopted staff's recommendation after the parties presented competing appraisals. The adjacent property owner submitted an appraisal valuing the strip at $9,000; a city appraisal valued it at $15,600. City staff said the council agreed at a prior discussion to split the difference, producing the $12,300 sale figure, and recommended moving forward with the abandonment and sale process.
The abandonment affects the full road frontage (approximately 98 feet) and a depth of 25 feet. Public Works staff described the appraisal history and recommended the sale; Council Member Farris made the motion to approve, and the motion carried 3–1 with one recusal.
During public comment, Mary Klein, who with her husband Dean Klein identified themselves as owners of 2995 North Main Street, said the slope in the right-of-way exceeds the city's 25% maintenance threshold and that the city had previously advised leaving the area unmaintained unless ownership changed. "The right of way is greater than 35 25% grade, and therefore, it does not fall on the homeowner to maintain it," Klein said, and described erosion and runoff problems that affect her yard.
The Kleins said they followed the city's process (survey and appraisal) and expect to deliver a formal offer through Public Works at the council's next meeting. They outlined two options they expect to present: buy the strip and pay to landscape and stabilize it, or pursue a shared project in which the city helps pay for materials and the homeowners supply labor. They asked whether they would be able to appear when the offer is presented; staff said Ricky Stewart would present the city's paperwork and the Kleins could provide public comment.
Mayor Derek Eichling and staff noted Madeline Ortena had recused herself from this item. The resolution to proceed with abandonment and sale passed 3–1, with Veyers recorded as the no vote and Ortena recused.
Council did not adopt a final purchase contract at the meeting; staff were authorized to continue the abandonment process and accept a negotiated sale at the agreed $12,300 figure.
The council will take up the formal offer and any resulting purchase documentation at a subsequent meeting.
