Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Household Hazardous Waste topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Household hazardous waste participation rises; Veolia and Waste Management propose Stoneridge site for Muskego collections

2939827 · April 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Committee staff reported a 2024 increase in household hazardous waste (HHW) participation to about 4,300 residents and proposed moving Muskego collections to the Stoneridge (Wauer Lane) landfill site under an agreement handled by Veolia and Waste Management; county legal review and committee liability concerns were raised.

Committee staff reported April 7 that Muskego-area household hazardous waste collections increased in 2024 and that a proposed new collection location is under negotiation with Veolia and Waste Management.

The staff member said the program had just over 4,300 participants in 2024 — about 200 more than 2023 — and collected about 223,000 pounds of material at a cost of about $312,000 for the year. The staff member characterized the year as “a good year from an education perspective,” noting outreach to nearly 400 residents via phone, email and workshops.

For 2025 through February, the staff member said the program recorded 189 participants and collected about 5,300 pounds of material at a cost of just under $13,000.

The staff member told the committee they have been negotiating with Waste Management and Veolia to use the Stone Ridge (Stoneridge) landfill off Wauer Lane for Muskego collections. The proposed arrangement would reserve part of the landfill’s paved area for household hazardous waste collections, separated by a temporary fence, with Veolia staging shipping containers and bringing staff. The staff member said, “As soon as we could sign an agreement, they could get themselves staged in 2 to 3 weeks to bring the shipping containers out.” The proposed service schedule would replicate the prior site’s pattern: first and third Saturdays, March through November.

Committee members and citizens raised liability and contractual questions. One committee member said they were “concerned that…if the committee goes ahead with working with this position on a landfill surface that is not owned by them, they may in some way be responsible for the site,” and urged legal review. A staff member and others said the lease or access agreement would be between Veolia and Waste Management and that county corporate counsel has reviewed drafts so far. The committee confirmed that if the municipality were to appear on any agreement, it would receive specialized legal review.

Why it matters: increasing HHW usage affects vendor costs and logistics; proposed relocation to a closed landfill site requires commercial agreements and legal review to limit municipal liability and preserve service continuity.

Next steps cited were finalizing the temporary access agreement with Waste Management and Veolia and obtaining any necessary legal reviews; the staff member said they want the site change to occur this year if possible.

Ending: No binding agreement was signed at the meeting; staff will pursue contract review and follow up with committee members when the draft is ready for action.