Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Homelessness topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Huntsville officials outline timetable for renovated Derrick Street sanctioned camp; advocates urge no forced evictions

2869699 · March 27, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City staff described progress on a renovated sanctioned camp at Derrick Street and said fencing and tents are ordered; public commenters and advocates urged the city not to evict current occupants and to preserve resident choice.

Huntsville officials told the City Council on March 27 that work on a renovated sanctioned encampment at Derrick Street is nearing completion and that individuals who lived at the previous site will be offered the option to return or receive help to move to emergency shelter.

At a council meeting, Scott Irwin of the Community Development Department said the site has been cleared, a hard-surface pad installed, and that fencing and tents have been ordered pending installation. “The renovated site now contains a new hard surface pad that will soon be equipped with a metal privacy fence as well as new entryways for emergency vehicle access,” Irwin said. He said the site would provide designated areas for residents’ belongings and “assistance to transition to an emergency shelter” for those who choose that option.

The city described a short timeline: tents and fencing are on order and city staff expect to finish final site work in the coming weeks before allowing occupants to return. Irwin said the city conducted listening sessions with people experiencing homelessness and has asked individuals to indicate whether they intend to return so the city can tailor assistance.

In public comment, David Snyder, who identified himself as a Huntsville resident and advocate, urged the city not to use the reopening as a reason to evict people from their current locations. “When you run a program like this, you need to allow people where they're currently living to have their own self determination and their own volition to decide to participate,” Snyder said, adding that some residents previously were evicted after earlier site clearances.

Mayor Battle and staff declined to announce a firm reoccupation date at the meeting but said the city will coordinate with local Continuum of Care providers for services on site. Scott Irwin said tents and fencing deliveries were pending and that staff had collected individuals’ stated intentions to return.

The council took no formal vote on the camp at this meeting; the presentation was informational and intended to update council members and the public on the work completed and next steps.

City staff and advocates will continue outreach in coming days to inform residents of the plan and available assistance.

Ending: Council members who spoke during the update thanked staff for the outreach work; members of the public who addressed the council asked officials to preserve residents’ ability to choose whether to return to the site or to accept other emergency housing supports.