Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Parks Landscape Contract topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

After concerns about outreach, Muskego council orders rebid of parks landscaping contract

2772336 · February 26, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council members pulled a single-bid award for 2025-26 parks, boulevards and facilities landscaping after a young local contractor said he had been told he would not be allowed to bid. Council directed staff to re-solicit quotes, expand outreach and require qualification statements; the scope will remain unchanged.

The Muskego Common Council on Feb. 25 pulled and then decided to re-solicit bids for the 2025-26 parks, boulevards, terraces and facility landscape services contract after members raised concerns about outreach and the apparent lack of competition.

A 21-year-old local landscaper, Alex, who identified himself as the owner of H and A Landscaping, told the council he had tried to participate after leaving a business card earlier and said he was disappointed he had not been given an opportunity to bid. “I started a landscaping company in Muskego when I was 14. I9m 21 now... I9m just, like, highly disappointed because you guys are saying up here that everyone had a fair chance,” Alex said.

Council members and staff discussed procurement practices and whether the city should advertise more broadly. Scott (city staff) said the city typically seeks qualifications, checks references and sometimes requires bonds for larger work; he suggested adding a print advertisement next time and confirmed subs are allowed under a single prime contractor model.

Aldermen discussed equipment differences between larger park contractors and smaller firms (for example, park tractors versus small median mowers) and clarified chemical-application work requires appropriate licensed subcontractors. Council directed staff to keep the same scope of work, re-solicit bids (website/social media and an optional print ad) and allow two weeks from solicitation for firms to submit qualifications; staff said a March deadline would be targeted so work could begin in the spring.

A motion to rescind the single-bid award and send the contract back out for new quotes passed on a voice vote. Councilors emphasized the city would still evaluate references and qualifications to ensure firms can handle the scope.