Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Detainee Release Afghanistan topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
State Department says American freed after 2½ years in Afghanistan; officials thank Qatar and UAE, say others remain detained
Summary
Tammy Bruce, Spokesperson for the U.S. Department of State, said Thursday that American citizen George Glessman, whom she called "wrongfully detained in Afghanistan for 2 and a half years," arrived at Joint Base Andrews earlier the same day and was greeted by his wife and a small welcoming party.
Get email alerts on the Detainee Release Afghanistan topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Tammy Bruce, Spokesperson for the U.S. Department of State, said Thursday that American citizen George Glessman, whom she called "wrongfully detained in Afghanistan for 2 and a half years," arrived at Joint Base Andrews earlier the same day and was greeted by his wife and a small welcoming party. Bruce said Ryan Corbett, who "had been held in the same cell as George in Afghanistan," was at the base with his wife.
Bruce said Glessman and his wife flew to another location in the United States "to rest and recover" after a brief ceremony at Joint Base Andrews. "We are grateful for the government of Qatar's support in bringing George home, and The United Arab Emirates also played a role in facilitating the initial discussions," she said.
The spokesperson said the department remains "deeply concerned about the well-being of Mahmoud Habibi and other Americans still detained in Afghanistan." She characterized the safety and security of Americans abroad as "a highest priority of this State Department," and said officials are "working tirelessly to bring Americans home."
Reporters asked about a recent meeting in Kabul involving individuals linked to hostage efforts. Bruce said she was not at that meeting and declined to provide operational details, but later responded to a question about attendees: "There is no one with an official government role," she said when asked about private actors who had accompanied envoys. Bruce emphasized the central result: an American is home, and described that as the ``North Star'' of diplomatic work in the matter.
Bruce declined to give additional operational details about diplomatic contacts or personnel involved, saying some aspects of such discussions are not public. She also said the department would not comment on internal deliberations but stressed the priority was the safe return of U.S. citizens.
The department’s remarks combined praise for third‑party mediation, confirmation that a U.S. citizen was back on U.S. soil, and an ongoing concern for other Americans still detained.

