Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Disaster Relief Bonnie Carey topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

MDMR outlines nearly $3 million in Bonnie Carey disaster payments for shrimp and oyster fishermen

2701707 · March 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

MDMR staff said a one-time base payment program tied to the February 2020 Bonnie Carey disaster will distribute roughly $3 million to eligible shrimp and oyster license-holders from 2019–2020.

The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources said March 18 it has roughly $3 million available for a one-time disaster payment tied to the Feb. 2020 Bonnie Carey disaster, intended for shrimp and oyster fishermen who held qualifying licenses in 2019 or 2020.

The director described the program and funding level to commissioners: "We have about that right at 3,000,000, just shy of $3,000,000 to be able to, put out for that," he said. He said the payments will be direct and that the program will provide a base payout — not supplemental payments — with administrative fees to be deducted from the total.

Eligibility was described as tied to having the proper license in either 2019 or 2020. The director said the department will contact applicants who previously filed for the Feb. 2019 Bonnie Carey filing and urged any new applicants to submit documentation so the department can calculate the per-applicant base payout. "We won't know the base payout until we see how many people apply," he said, and he emphasized the program would be a one-time distribution.

The department said it will keep application windows open long enough for eligible fishers to provide required documentation and encouraged former 2019 filers to update contact information if needed so staff can reach them directly. No per-person payment amounts were announced; the department said it will divide the available funds among eligible applicants after the application period closes.

Commissioners asked procedural questions but the meeting produced no formal vote on program details; staff said they will provide application instructions and timing to the public.