Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Gaza Humanitarian topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
State Department urges end to fighting in Gaza, emphasizes protection of civilians and legal obligations
Summary
The State Department spokesperson said the U.S. deplores civilian casualties in Gaza and reiterated calls for ceasefire and humanitarian access while noting the U.S. applies international and U.S. law to weapons transfers and expects partners to do the same.
Get email alerts on the Gaza Humanitarian topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The State Department reiterated that stopping civilian deaths in Gaza is a priority and said diplomacy remains the primary tool to reduce suffering amid renewed fighting.
Tammy, State Department spokesperson, said the United States “deplore[s] the loss of life” in Gaza and described the situation as “a catastrophe,” while also stressing the October 7 attacks that precipitated the current conflict. She said the department urges all parties to move to a ceasefire and highlighted ongoing diplomatic engagements to that end.
Reporters asked whether the department was assessing whether strikes using U.S. weapons complied with international law. Tammy said the United States applies applicable U.S. laws and international law in its assessments and that the department is committed to those standards.
Why it matters: The U.S. is Israel’s security partner and a major supplier of military assistance; questions about compliance with the laws of war and civilian harm have political and legal implications. The briefing did not announce new policy changes but emphasized ongoing diplomatic efforts and legal standards.
Details from the briefing: Tammy said there had been no direct phone call yet between Secretary Rubio and Israeli counterparts at the time of the briefing, but that teams remain in constant contact. She also criticized Hamas’s role in prolonging violence and reiterated the administration’s focus on achieving a diplomatic resolution.
Ending: The department said it will continue diplomatic engagement and urged steps to protect civilians and restore humanitarian access.

