Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Events Permits topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council approves Movies in the Park and Hueneme Beach Festival; permits, parking waivers and event conditions adopted

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City Council unanimously approved special use permits for the 2025 Movies in the Park series and the Hueneme Beach Festival; the council also approved related site footprints, temporary parking waivers and vendor permit timelines.

The Port Hueneme City Council unanimously approved special use permits for two major summer events on Monday: a three‑night Movies in the Park series at Miami Beach Park and the two‑day Hueneme Beach Festival with live entertainment, a youth wrestling tournament, a beach soccer event and vendor/brew zones.

City planners presented the Movies in the Park proposal, which cleared the council with conditions. The event is scheduled for June 13, July 5 and Aug. 22, 2025, at Miami Beach Park and is expected to draw between 500 and 1,200 viewers per screening. The council found the event categorically exempt from CEQA and approved a beach parking waiver for those dates.

The council also approved the Hueneme Beach Festival special use permit for July 12–13, 2025, which staff estimated could draw about 15,000 patrons per day across the festival footprint. The festival site plan keeps Ocean View Drive and Surfside Drive circulation adjustments designed last year to limit neighborhood impacts, and staff told the council the 2024 footprint produced zero formal complaints.

Frank Montelongo and Jose Coyote, city staff who presented the festival plan, said the festival will again host youth wrestling (expected 80–100 athletes), a Copacabana beach soccer tournament (previously approved, with expected spectator totals up to about 400) and live music on the main stage in Lot B. Organizers said parking will be free across beach lots for the festival weekend; accessible parking will be provided in Lot A and Surfside Drive will remain open for circulation.

The city and festival committee intend for the Police Explorers nonprofit to manage alcohol sales under a nonprofit permit, a change from prior practice intended to keep the city from handling alcohol revenues directly.

Both permits were adopted after brief public comment and rolled call votes. Council also accepted related staff reports on vendor timelines and contests: vendor applications for Beach Fest open immediately with an application deadline of March 27; a community poster contest deadline is April 24.

Votes at a glance: - Resolution approving Special Use Permit No. 01/2025 (Movies in the Park): unanimous approval (yes: Council member Grama; Council member Hernandez; Council member Perez; Mayor Pro Tem Lopez; Mayor McQueen LaJean). - Resolution approving Special Use Permit No. 02/2025 (Hueneme Beach Festival): unanimous approval (same roll call).