Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Demolition Mammoth Building topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Committee delays vote on nearly $2.6 million Mammoth Building demolition contract after owners, residents push for reconsideration

2666169 · March 10, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Detroit’s Public Health & Safety Committee agreed to bring contract 6006976—proposed $2,599,740 demolition of the Mammoth Building at 15401 West Grand River—back in one week after owners and neighborhood residents asked for more time and information; the delay passed over objection by Council member Mary Waters.

The Public Health & Safety Committee voted to bring back for reconsideration in one week a proposed $2,599,740 demolition contract for the Mammoth Building at 15401 West Grand River, after owners and nearby residents urged the committee to allow more time to review alternatives.

The item on the agenda, listed as contract number 6006976 with Hemrick Wrecking, was the subject of competing statements at the committee’s March 10 meeting. Jahad Najee, who identified himself as representing Grand Detroit Mall and the new owners of the old Mammoth Building, told the committee the owners have invested more than $750,000 in repairs and hold a building permit. Najee said a court stay is in place but that the property remains on the city demolition list and a proposed demolition contract would use nearly $2.6 million in public blight funds to remove a structure the owners say is repairable.

President Pro Tem Tate framed the issue as a long-running neighborhood problem, saying the structure has been closed “for more than 20 years” and that neighbors and local businesses consider it a blight that is dragging down the area. He said he and community members had canvassed the neighborhood and that court findings supported demolition as appropriate.

Corporation Counsel Conrad Mallett told the committee he checked with Wayne County Circuit Court and its records show no motion for an appeal or stay had been filed seeking to block the judge’s order. "This matter has been in the hands of a receiver reporting back to the judge," Mallett said, and the receiver recommended demolition; the court entered an order following that recommendation.

Council Member Mary Waters said she had requested additional documentation from the Buildings and Safety division and wanted time to review materials before a final vote. Waters moved to hold the item, saying she wanted answers to a list of questions submitted to BC and asked that the item come back after budget deliberations; the committee compromised and instead agreed to return the item in one week. Waters formally objected when the motion to bring the item back in one week passed; the chair declared the motion approved over her objection.

The committee heard repeated calls from community members both for demolition (citing safety, asbestos, trespass and wildlife being dropped in the structure) and for fair treatment of the building owners, who said they had invested in repairs and sought the chance to present redevelopment plans. Najee told the committee his group had spent tens of thousands on legal fees after being accused of being straw buyers and asked that the city remove the property from the demolition list while the court reconsideration is pending.

The committee assigned follow-up: Director David Bell of BCID was asked to provide the information Council Member Waters requested and to respond before the item returns. The committee set the item to return in one week for further consideration.

Next steps: 5.1 (contract 6006976) will return to the Public Health & Safety Committee in one week. The city’s corporation counsel said court records show no filed appeal; the committee asked BCID to supply outstanding documents before the next meeting.