Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Substance Use Intervention topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Merrimack Council OKs $14,007.71 State Grant to Continue Police Prevention, Treatment Program
Summary
The town council voted 5-0 to accept $14,007.71 from the New Hampshire Department of Justice to extend a police prevention, treatment and harm-reduction program through Sept. 30, 2026.
Get email alerts on the Substance Use Intervention topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
MERRIMACK, N.H. — The Merrimack Town Council unanimously approved acceptance and expenditure of $14,007.71 from the New Hampshire Department of Justice on Thursday to continue a police-led prevention, treatment and harm-reduction program through Sept. 30, 2026.
Councilors voted 5-0 after a brief public hearing, and authorized the town manager to sign any documents required to accept the funds. The motion to accept the grant was made by Councilor Nancy Murphy and seconded by Jennifer (surname not specified in transcript).
The grant funds supplement a community-oriented substance-use program that the police department said has been expanded since the town received initial grant funding about two years ago. "To say that it's been a success is understatement," the chief told the council, describing a prevention/enforcement/treatment officer role created last fall and local harm-reduction work.
According to the police presentation, the program has established four public locations for free harm-reduction supplies — including naloxone (Narcan), fentanyl and xylazine testing strips, and drug-neutralization bags — and officers carry naloxone in their cruisers and offer it to people they believe are at risk. The department said it distributed more than 110 boxes of naloxone so far in 2025 ("that's 220," the speaker noted) and that 29 people are currently enrolled in the prevention/treatment (PT) program, with 60 people having been offered resources since the program began.
Officer Justin Grama (position described in the meeting as the prevention/enforcement/treatment officer) was singled out by staff for leading school-based education events, an adverse child experiences rapid-response outreach effort, and local partnerships with behavioral-health groups and the Boys & Girls Club to connect youth and families to services.
The council referenced RSA 31:95-b and Charter Article VIII, Section 15 during the public hearing and motion. The chief and town staff noted the grant is an extension of prior funding and would run through Sept. 30, 2026; they also said they will apply for future rounds of state funds.
Why it matters: Councilors and staff framed the funding as sustaining a local effort to reduce overdose and connect people to treatment and social services — work they said takes pressure off emergency responders and builds community referral pathways. The council recorded no public opposition during the brief public-hearing period.
What the council did: Motion to accept $14,007.71 from the New Hampshire Department of Justice for the COSAP grant, moved by Councilor Nancy Murphy, seconded by Jennifer; vote 5-0-0 — approved.
Next steps: Staff said they will continue program operations through the extended grant period and pursue additional funding. The council did not attach conditions or amendments to the grant acceptance.

