Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Transportation Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Mayor reports proposed toll increase and weekday bike-lane closures on Richmond—San Rafael Bridge to fund repairs; shuttle and barrier moves would cost about $1
Summary
Pinole Mayor Cameron Sasai told the Sept. 2 council meeting that regional transportation agencies are considering toll increases and weekday closures of the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge bike lane to pay for major repairs, with a weekday shuttle and barrier moves estimated at $1.5 million per year.
Get email alerts on the Transportation Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
In his reports to the council on Sept. 2, Mayor Cameron Sasai summarized recent transportation meetings on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge, saying officials are considering a modest toll increase to fund major repairs or replacement work. Sasai said the proposal under discussion would close the bridge—s protected bike lane Monday through Thursday to allow crews to move temporary barriers and operate a bike shuttle. The protected bike lane would be available from Friday through Sunday. The mayor said the work to move barriers twice per week and run the weekday bike shuttle would cost approximately $1,500,000 per year. Sasai said agencies on the call included staff from the West Contra Costa Transportation Commission, Caltrans and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. He also said the council—s West Contra Costa Transportation Commission had earlier adopted a resolution urging that bike access be preserved 24/7, but the current plan appears to be a compromise to allow necessary repairs while maintaining weekend protected access. Council members did not take a formal vote on the bridge item during the Sept. 2 meeting; the mayor reported the discussion to inform residents of potential impacts to bike access and tolling.
