Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Fireworks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents recount fires, property damage and prolonged fireworks; council says new ordinance can be enforced next year
Summary
During public comment Sunnyside residents described two house fires linked to fireworks, prolonged nightly fireworks in multiple neighborhoods and calls for more enforcement; council said a stricter ordinance passed last year cannot be enforced until the state-mandated waiting period ends.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Fireworks topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Several Sunnyside residents used public comment to describe property damage, personal trauma and ongoing late‑night fireworks in residential neighborhoods, pressing the council and police for stronger enforcement.
Carrie Miller, who identified herself as a Pioneer Elementary employee and Sunnyside resident, told the council she suffered two separate fires at her home that she said were caused by fireworks—one about 11 p.m. on July 4 and another about 4 a.m. on July 5. Miller said her house sustained about $43,000 in damage, that the roof was replaced and attic insulation removed and replaced because of soot, and that the damage has left her anxious: “I am only now just able to sleep, unless I hear fireworks,” she told the council during public comment.
A letter from resident Doug Garrison was read into the record by Councilor Hancock. The letter said powerful fireworks had been detonated repeatedly beginning June 20 in Mr. Garrison’s area, sometimes after midnight, rattling windows and frightening family members; the letter called for municipal prosecutors to pursue disorderly‑conduct charges and for increased enforcement. Excerpts read into the record said, “These devices are going up in the air 200 feet or more and detonating with tremendous force.”
Council response and enforcement limits Mayor (speaking during the meeting) explained that the council passed a stricter fireworks ordinance last year but state law requires a one‑year waiting period before local enforcement could begin, so the city could not fully enforce the new ordinance this year. The mayor said the revised ordinance will provide a narrower window for fireworks next year and that council and staff will continue to explore ways to increase enforcement where state law permits.
What was clarified in the meeting - Damage and timing: Miller said two separate fireworks fires occurred at her house—July 4 at about 11 p.m. and July 5 at about 4 a.m.—and that the combined damage and repairs amounted to about $43,000. - Calls for enforcement: commenters urged the city to direct municipal prosecutors and police to pursue arrests and prosecution for disorderly conduct; the mayor and council acknowledged enforcement challenges under state law and said they would pursue increased enforcement and education next year when the new ordinance can be applied.
Speakers and sources Quoted or cited speakers from the record include Carrie Miller (resident and Pioneer Elementary employee), Doug Garrison (letter author), Councilor Hancock (who read Garrison’s letter into the record) and the mayor (who explained the ordinance and enforcement constraints). All direct quotes used in this article are from those recorded statements in the meeting transcript.
Next steps Council and staff said they will review enforcement options within the limits of state law and expect the tighter ordinance to be enforceable next year; residents were encouraged to continue using 911 and to provide incident information to police to aid enforcement and possible prosecution.

