Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Demolition Program topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff reports demolition progress for June; commissioners ask about contracts and funding
Summary
City staff presented the monthly demolition update for June, reporting completed demolitions, properties added to the nuisance list, and specific addresses slated or completed for demolition. Commissioners asked for follow-up on a rebid contract and on funding sources now that ODOD deadlines have passed.
Get email alerts on the Demolition Program topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff presented the monthly demolition update during the Dayton City Council meeting, reporting the program's June activity and a list of properties either demolished or added to the nuisance list.
The presentation was delivered by James McDaniel, a staff member filling in for the regular presenter. McDaniel said the program's total planned demolitions stood at 1,168 and that completed demolitions for June included 41 structures. He also reported monthly counts of structures added to the nuisance list for 2025: January 8, February 9, March 9, April 10, May 16 and June 6, and said four of the June additions were fire-damaged properties. Addresses McDaniel named in the presentation included 715 North Gettysburg; 784 Goodloe; 28 Crown; 1905 Orleans; 4309 Eickelberg; and 5149 Hoover.
Commissioners pressed staff on open points. Commissioner Christian Charles Laws asked for the exact location of the emergency fire demolition shown on the map and whether the work reflects progress on a contract that was rebid earlier this year. McDaniel said he would provide the emergency-demo location and follow up on the contract details offline. When Charles Laws asked whether the city would now proceed using ARPA, CDBG and other designated dollars after meeting the ODOD deadline, McDaniel responded, “Yes. We are.”
Commissioner Fairchild and Mayor Mims offered brief praise for the overall progress, noting the number of fire piles removed versus added in June and asking about weather-related delays; McDaniel said crews were “geared up” and had handled rain-related cleanup.
Why it matters: demolitions are part of the city’s neighborhood stabilization and blight-removal strategy. Commissioners requested contract and site-specific follow-up so they can confirm the program is addressing properties on previously rebid lists and using the next tranche of available funding.
What remains open: staff committed to provide the precise location of the emergency demolition and the status of the rebid contract for previously listed structures. No formal vote was taken on the demolition update; the presentation was informational.
Ending: Commissioners thanked staff for the update and asked to receive the follow-up details at a later date.

