Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Property Condemnation Demolition topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Tuscaloosa council adopts demolition order for property cited with 40 housing code violations

5499331 · July 29, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Tuscaloosa City Council voted to adopt a demolition order for the property identified in the meeting record as 260320 Second Street after staff said the structure had 40 housing-code violations; the property owner asked for time to remove belongings and was told there would be notice and a period to vacate.

The Tuscaloosa City Council on May 19 adopted an order to demolish the building identified in the meeting record as 260320 Second Street after city staff said the property had 40 housing-code violations. City staff told council members the property was condemned on 05/19/2025 and that the condemnation covers the primary house and all accessory structures. The staff presentation said the owner had been contacted and warned that if the city carries out demolition, the cost of demolition will be billed back to the owner and, if unpaid, could become a lien on the property and ultimately lead to foreclosure. The owner, Felicia Gory of 1300 Hargrove Road, Apartment 41B, spoke at the meeting and said she could not afford a full reconstruction and that her family’s priority was to keep the property. “My main concern is not to lose this property,” Gory said. She asked whether the family would have time to remove personal items; a city staffer told her property owners receive notice and that demolition is not immediate. A city staff member described the usual timing and notices: owners receive mailed notice, and after utilities are disconnected the property is scheduled for demolition; even then, the staff member said owners can expect roughly two to three weeks’ lead time before demolition, with the longer administrative timelines possibly extending to 30 to 90 days depending on circumstances. Council discussion included confirmation that the order would not result in immediate demolition and that staff would stay in contact with the owner about the schedule and next steps. The council then voted to adopt the demolition order. Council and staff remarks included a reiteration that demolition costs are billed back to the owner and that unpaid costs can produce a lien on the property. The adopted order directs city staff to proceed with the condemnation process under the city’s established procedures; the meeting record did not list any additional mitigation funding or relocation assistance for the owner.