Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Street Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Committee approves $300,000 budget increase for 20th Ninth Street box culvert after BNSF inspection costs
Summary
The Infrastructure Committee approved a budget amendment and a related resolution rescission to cover railroad inspection and flagging costs for a reinforced concrete box culvert replacement on Southeast 20 Ninth Street; construction will be phased and require short full closures of the road for an estimated five months.
Get email alerts on the Street Infrastructure topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Infrastructure Committee on July 15 approved increasing the capital budget for a box culvert and water-main project on Southeast 20 Ninth Street to cover additional railroad inspection and flagging costs related to work under the BNSF railroad. The committee voted 3-0 to advance the change to the capital improvement program and to rescind Resolution 9,632 so federal funds exchange can be used to pay the increase.
Committee members and staff said the work replaces a reinforced concrete box culvert under a railroad bridge where Butcher Creek runs, and that BNSF inspections and flagging will add roughly $300,000 to the project. Steve Grown, public works director, told the committee the BNSF submission lists inspection costs at $1,400 per day plus $400 mobilization and that it is unclear whether one or two flaggers will be required.
The city plans to phase construction to keep Southeast 20 Ninth Street open except during the box-culvert replacements. Joe Harrington, the city project manager, estimated the road will require a full closure twice: an estimated five months for the box culvert (two crews, about four months of active work inside that estimate) and an additional closure for water-line work at the 20 Ninth and Adams intersection. Staff said the project is ready to go to bid now and that postponing could expose the city to higher steel or materials costs because of anticipated tariff discussions.
Council members pressed staff on access for nearby businesses. Councilwoman Ortiz said she had been contacted by a business owner on 20 Ninth who fears losing customers because the property has only one entrance. Grown said staff will phase the work to maintain access for property owners and will coordinate temporary access where needed, but acknowledged the project will unavoidably disrupt through traffic. Staff also said medians will be removed in an early phase to maintain traffic flow and reinstalled after work is complete.
The committee also authorized using a federal funds exchange to pay the increased amount. Members said they hoped to have the governing body consider the amendment the same evening so procurement and bidding could proceed without further delay.
Timeline and scope: staff indicated culvert work will begin in the winter, with significant activity through 2026 into 2027; work includes full-depth patching, curb-and-gutter and sidewalk replacements as part of the broader street-improvement project. The committee approved the action 3-0.
Notes: staff characterized the work as necessary to reduce recurrent flooding at that location and to replace aging water infrastructure; they also noted uncertainty in railroad-related requirements that emerged after earlier budget work.

