Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Gun Violence topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Residents, organizers urge action on gun violence and promote July marches and community events

5408300 · July 16, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple residents and organizers used the city commission public-comment period to list victims, call for programs for youth, and promote marches and community events aimed at preventing violence; speakers described grassroots camps and partnerships and asked for more community support after federal grant cuts were reported.

Several residents and community organizers used the public-comment portion of the July 15 Springfield City Commission meeting to press for more action on gun violence, describe local prevention programs and promote two weekend events intended to mobilize residents.

A long list of names read into the record commemorated people killed in local shootings; a speaker reading the list asked the commission to "help us." The public commenters who followed described on-the-ground prevention efforts and upcoming events intended to build community support.

Jane Casto, a local organizer, said organizers will hold an "end gun violence" march at noon Saturday, July 19, gathering at the main entrance of Davie Moore Park (600 Southwestern Ave.) and a free community event at the same park from 1 to 4 p.m. "When we address risk factors and offer resources, we empower our young people to make better choices," Casto said, and she invited residents to support the march or volunteer with local programs.

Dion Green, CEO and founder of the Fudge Foundation, told the commission he runs youth programming and summer camps and urged long-term investment in young people rather than episodic responses. "This is a marathon," Green said. He announced a gun-violence walk and a community appreciation day that will coincide with local outreach activities and invited broader community participation.

Speakers repeatedly urged residents and institutions to move from talk to action, to volunteer with youth programming and to support organizations providing mentorship, trauma-informed services and safe alternatives for young people. Several speakers said federal funding for violence-prevention efforts had been cut; Jane Casto and Dion Green referenced recent reductions to Department of Justice funding and urged constituents to contact federal representatives.

The comments reflected a mix of grief, calls for prevention programming and requests for better support from government and philanthropic funders. Several commissioners praised the organizers and urged continued community collaboration.

Ending: Organizers urged residents to attend the July marches and to support ongoing youth camps and mentorship programs; commissioners and staff acknowledged the requests and said they would continue to coordinate where possible.