Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Maximum Age Attendance topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

District to revise maximum-age attendance policy after state guidance and legal review

5350526 · June 27, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Lynn officials recommended aligning the district’s maximum admission and attendance ages with DESE guidance after a review showing lower graduation rates for students enrolling at older ages; the committee asked the policy subcommittee to draft language and pursue a transition plan.

School committee compliance staff and district leaders told the June 24 meeting they will revise Lynn’s maximum-age policy for admission and attendance to align with recent DESE guidance and attorney recommendations.

Charlie Gallo explained the statutory and administrative background: Massachusetts defines a special-education school-age child in Chapter 71B §1 (ages 3 through 21 who have not earned a diploma); the legislature directed BESE (Board of Elementary and Secondary Education) in Chapter 69 §1B to consider attendance ages but BESE has not set a statewide maximum. In Lynn, the district had previously set admission/attendance ages (policy J E B A) at different levels over recent years — 20 in 2022, then 19 for attendance in 2024 — after reviewing graduation outcomes for students who enrolled at older ages.

Gallo said district data showed markedly lower graduation rates for students enrolling past age 15 and particularly for those enrolling at 18 or older (graduation probabilities in the twenties to thirties percent). He said advocates asked the district to consider raising ages; district counsel Katie Meinault advised aligning local policy with DESE guidance that recommends age 21 for attendance for newcomers. The district recommended redrafting policy language to reflect state guidance and to plan transition supports for older students.

Superintendent Alvarez described the district’s placement options for older arrivals — Durgin Success Academy (formerly FACTO), evening LEAP programs and After Dark adult-education slots — and emphasized plans to expand or better resource those programs if the district accepts more older students. She also said the district must be careful about classroom placements (e.g., placing an 18-year-old with much younger classmates could require separate sections and additional capacity).

The committee asked staff to bring a draft redraft to the policy subcommittee and to return with transition language, enrollment projections and options (program expansions, partnerships with community colleges and grant-seeking) before final adoption.