Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Film Production topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

City OKs Main Street closure and MOU for local film production

5342482 · July 10, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Belton approved a resolution and memorandum of understanding allowing House of Husband LLC to close part of Main Street for filming in July; city public works will provide traffic control and will charge the production for two setups.

Belton City Council on a voice vote approved a resolution authorizing House of Husband LLC to close a block of Main Street for film recording in July and approved a separate memorandum of understanding governing the production’s use of city streets and public infrastructure.

The action allows a planned exterior shoot on Main Street and nearby side streets for a production with the working title Transcending. Bryce Young, location manager for House of Husband LLC, told the council the production will begin shooting in Belton July 15 and that the Main Street block closure for a night shoot is planned for Thursday, July 17. “We are in day 2,” Young said, describing earlier scenes shot at Lewis Park and a major chili cook-off scene scheduled at the Presbyterian Church on July 16.

The MOU was amended before the vote so the Belton Public Works Department — not the production — will provide traffic control and barricades for the closures. A city staff member said the setup fee listed in the MOU is $530 per setup and that the production will be charged twice because the street will be set up on two separate nights. The council voted to approve the resolution and the MOU; the record shows the motion carried.

City staff told council members that the production has coordinated with the railroad and about 10 Main Street businesses who will be involved or used for interior/exterior filming. Young said crews will be present in Belton through July 30 for additional shooting and b-roll; the production has arranged to use the Presbyterian Church for a production office and for some crew meal/meeting space.

The council discussion included a request for an approximate cost to the city for providing barricades and traffic control; the staff estimate in the MOU is $530 per setup. The MOU also specifies the geographic limits of the closure — the block that runs to Walnut and ends near the railroad yard — and that public works approved the traffic-control plan. The council approved both the street-closure resolution and the MOU on voice votes with no recorded dissents.

The council packet included two separate items tied to the filming: a resolution to authorize the street closure and a resolution to approve the MOU governing the production’s responsibilities and city services. The approvals do not change any zoning or permanent street configuration; they authorize temporary closures and set the terms under which the city will provide traffic control and other services.

The production’s representative said the film is an indie romantic-comedy (working title Transcending) being coordinated through the Kansas City Film Office and Missouri Film Office and that community involvement — from businesses to extras — is part of the plan. The council chair concluded the item by noting the city had already reviewed the closure process and related requirements earlier in the agenda and that staff would monitor the closure and public-safety arrangements when the production proceeds.