Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Funeral Preneed Funds topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Public-health hearing on Petrus Funeral Home continued to July 1 after consumer complaints about pre‑need funds
Summary
The Department of Public Health hearing board on June 3 agreed to continue an administrative hearing into Petrus Funeral Home until July 1, 2025, after the respondent sought a second continuance because of a competing superior court appearance and public commenters alleged missing pre‑need funeral funds.
Get email alerts on the Funeral Preneed Funds topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Department of Public Health hearing board on June 3 agreed to continue an administrative hearing into Petrus Funeral Home until July 1, 2025, after the respondent sought a second continuance because of a simultaneous superior court appearance and multiple public commenters raised concerns that pre‑need funeral funds may be missing.
The matter drew public comment from funeral-industry representatives and families who say they have been contacted by grieving relatives worried about funds set aside at Petrus. Aiden Baum, counsel to the board in the Department of Public Health hearing office, advised the board not to accept public comment on the case before the hearing to preserve the integrity of the adjudicative process: "These comments are relating to the hearing that we have later in this meeting ... because this matter is the subject of a quasi judicial hearing later in the agenda ... I'm gonna advise the board not to accept public comments regarding that hearing just to preserve the integrity of the adjudicated process and to ensure fairness to both parties."
The concerns were voiced during the public-comment period by Timothy Carmen of Carmen Funeral Homes, who described receiving calls from families seeking to transfer pre‑need accounts from Petrus and gave a breakdown of the small group of contacts his firm has received: "Of the 11 individuals that have contacted us about transferring their pre needs, we've only had 2 with intact funds, 5 have had no funds at all, 3 have had missing funds, and 1 we've yet to determine," Carmen said. Carmen also told the board he believes the problem has persisted for "8 plus years" and urged a formal investigation.
Julianne Cataya, the Department of Public Health attorney representing the case, told the board the department had prepared witnesses twice for the proceeding and expressed concern that further delay could extend the time families remain without clarity. Melissa Milen Miles, a funeral director with Alderson Ford Funeral Homes who said she had been set to testify, urged the board not to wait: "Phil has, in my opinion, been given enough time ... I think waiting a month is too long. I think we can do this in the next week or so if we're not gonna proceed today."
Baum also told the board the respondent's license is currently summarily suspended: "the response license is already summarily suspended, which means this license is not active at the moment," he said, adding that a short delay would not present an immediate public‑health risk. Board members and commenters discussed possible interim steps to protect consumers, including whether the department could supervise or take custody of pre‑need records, but no formal action to seize records was taken during the meeting. A department attorney noted limits on what the board can do immediately beyond the existing suspension.
After discussion, the board scheduled the hearing to resume on Tuesday, July 1, 2025, at 9:30 a.m. Board members directed that notice be sent to the respondent, with one member recommending certified mail so the respondent must sign for it. The board and department said the hearing will be held on that date "with him or without him."
The hearing stems from an investigation by the Department of Public Health's investigation section; the respondent had not filed an answer and had not responded to multiple department requests dating into 2024, according to department counsel. Members of the public and funeral-industry representatives asked the board to pursue a formal audit or certified accounting firm to determine the extent of any missing funds and to consider how to assist families whose pre‑need money may be unavailable.
The board closed the meeting after confirming the July 1 schedule and that the session will start at 9:30 a.m.

