Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Illegal Dumping Wetlands topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Inland Wetlands agency upholds cease-and-desist at 0 Cascade Boulevard, orders remediation and permits
Summary
The Milford Inland Wetlands Agency unanimously upheld and modified a cease-and-desist order for dumping and unpermitted fill at 0 Cascade Boulevard, requiring erosion controls, access permission to adjacent association land, wetland scientist reports, and permit applications with short deadlines.
Get email alerts on the Illegal Dumping Wetlands topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Milford Inland Wetlands Agency voted unanimously May 25 to uphold and modify a cease-and-desist order for unpermitted dumping and fill at 0 Cascade Boulevard, ordering removal or stabilization of material, erosion controls, and professional wetland review and permitting.
Agency staff described two locations of dumped material on the Cascade Boulevard property and on land owned by the Rider Woods Residents Association, saying hay bales had been placed but were not properly installed before recent rain. Mary Rose told commissioners the violation was issued May 12, 2025, and that the agency received complaints forwarded from police and public works.
Julie Valvo read the motion that the agency adopted: the violator must obtain permission to access Bridal Woods property to remove material, properly install soil erosion and sedimentation controls by May 23, 2025, and submit to the Milford Inland Wetlands Office by June 2, 2025 a wetland and stream status report, a mitigation/stabilization and planting plan prepared by a professional wetland scientist, a timeline for executing the mitigation plan including monitoring, and Connecticut DEEP protocols for threatened and endangered species to be used during work. The motion also required the property owner to obtain all permits necessary to resolve and legitimize site work, including inland wetlands, planning and zoning, and building permits.
Mary Rose said she had spoken with the owner, identified in the record as Mark Pucci, who had apologized for not taking out the required permits before moving fill. Ronald Wassmer, who was present representing the owner to a degree, said Pucci had trouble logging into the meeting but that on-site laborers had placed material at the noted locations and that Pucci had directed removal efforts after staff contacted him.
Mary Rose also told the commission she had spoken with the Rider Woods Association president, who could not attend the meeting, and noted the association's concern for the site's environment, including the documented presence of the eastern box turtle, a state-listed species. She instructed that proper DEEP protocols be in place to protect threatened and endangered species during any work.
The motion was seconded by Jim Connors; the roll-call vote was unanimous: Daniel Beddicker, Jim Connors, Matthew Connors, Julie Valvo, Buddy Field, Ray Gradwell and Chair Magnan all voted "aye." The motion carried.
The agency emphasized the distinction between staff observations (hay bales present but not properly staked), the owner's statements acknowledging actions and apologizing for not pulling permits, and the agency's formal order with specific remediation and reporting deadlines. Mary Rose said staff will email the decision to the owner and his representatives and will coordinate follow-up inspections and consultations with wetland scientists.

