Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Budget And Fiscal topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Methuen School Committee adopts $110.66 million FY26 budget; recalls, layoffs and one dissent noted

AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Methuen School Committee on June 26 adopted a $110,657,252 fiscal year 2026 operating budget after approving individual line items by roll call; the meeting also set in motion recall calls for some laid‑off staff as city and state funding narrowed the district’s shortfall.

The Methuen School Committee on June 26 approved a $110,657,252 fiscal year 2026 operating budget after roll‑call votes on individual line items and the total, with a 6‑1 tally on the final number.

The vote followed discussion of staffing changes that were already reflected in the school‑committee approved staffing plan: the budget reduces or eliminates several positions, including four world‑language positions at the grammar schools, one physical‑education position at Marsh and CGS, four K–4 health positions and some high‑school and classroom posts tied to enrollment declines. The superintendent said recall calls to some employees were scheduled to begin the next day.

Why it matters: the adopted budget, and the city and state funds layered against it, determine how many staff return, which programs are restored and what one‑time remediation and contracted services the district can fund before the start of school. The votes also closed a months‑long process in which district and city leaders sought reimbursements and free‑cash transfers to address special‑education and unemployment costs.

The committee approved major line items by roll call earlier in the meeting: professional salaries ($61,845,584), secretarial salaries ($2,187,188), other salaries ($13,247,278), contractual services ($31,554,952), supplies and materials ($1,638,300) and other expenses ($183,950). The total operating budget was then adopted by roll call; Member Trevor Maxwell cast the lone “No” vote on multiple items and on the total, saying she believed the district still needed more positions and resources.

Superintendent Dr. Quang described how additional state reimbursement and city free cash narrowed a projected shortfall. She said the district had already applied a $900,000 free‑cash transfer for one‑time special‑education costs and that the mayor and city administration expected a certified free‑cash amount that would allow a further $1.8 million transfer. The superintendent also said that increased “circuit‑breaker” special‑education reimbursement from the state permitted reallocation of dollars away from contracted services lines.

On staff recalls and layoffs the superintendent said the recall process would be led by central office staff and that recalls would begin the following day: "Colleen will be in tomorrow to start making those recall phone calls and sign off letters for people to come back," she said. She warned some employees might decline recall offers because they had taken other jobs or relocated.

The committee also voted to raise the Methuen High School student activity checking‑account maximum from $50,000 to $75,000, citing high end‑of‑year activity costs.

What remains unsettled: committee members pressed for clarity on how one city contribution — a $320,000 amount discussed at city council — would be applied; the superintendent said some or all of those dollars went into a broader general‑fund pool that is being used, in part, to fund the schools. The unemployment payments for laid‑off staff are being administered through a city pool rather than direct school‑department budget lines, the superintendent said, and the availability and timing of additional earmarked state or local dollars remained subject to certification and legislative timing.

Discussion vs. formal action: the meeting combined formal budget adoption (formal action) with operational direction (staff to make recall calls) and policy context (how city free cash and state reimbursements were applied). The committee made no new policy changes at the meeting; it adopted the budget and voted a single administrative banking limit.

Next steps: the superintendent said she would communicate with affected staff immediately and follow up with public copies of class‑size and staffing grids. The committee and superintendent also said a newly formed finance subcommittee will continue work on budget stability for FY27.

Ending note: Member DeZaglio said the committee had been “lucky from the state” with reimbursements and urged planning to avoid repeating a last‑minute funding scramble next year. Member Maxwell said she could not support the budget because she believed it did not restore enough positions.