Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Muskogee council reiterates safety rules for July 4 fireworks: fines, confiscation and 500‑foot buffer
Summary
City leaders warned residents that fireworks use is restricted to July 4, prohibited near schools, hospitals and churches and subject to fines and confiscation after last year’s enforcement success.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City officials reviewed rules and enforcement plans for July 4 fireworks on June 23, urging residents to follow safety requirements and warning of confiscation and fines for violations.
Deputy Mayor Derek Reed said the city will again emphasize responsible use and reiterated limits on discharge and targeting: fireworks should not be used as weapons or launched at people or property.
Councilmember Melody Cranford said the city will prohibit discharging fireworks within 500 feet of any church, hospital, public school or areas storing flammable fuel and reminded residents that legal discharge days are limited to the designated July 4 period. “We want to make sure that these young people specifically are aware of the fact that they cannot pop these fireworks in designated spaces,” Cranford said.
Police and fire officials told council they will continue enforcement, confiscating illegal fireworks and issuing fines where appropriate; staff said public education and social media outreach will precede the holiday. Council did not take formal action but directed continued coordination with police and fire to replicate last year’s enforcement approach.

