Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Engagement Housing Barriers topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents and commissioners press for clearer public access, redline and housing-barrier review
Summary
Public commenters and some commissioners criticized the timing and accessibility of City Council edits to the Montpelier City Plan 2025, requested a redline comparison, and urged the commission to address zoning implementation barriers to small infill projects and short-term rental enforcement.
Get email alerts on the Public Engagement Housing Barriers topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Several members of the public and at least one commissioner told the Montpelier Planning Commission on Tuesday that posting and document-access practices had left residents feeling disenfranchised and that the commission should provide clearer redline documentation of council edits.
Peter, a Montpelier neighbor-net member and public commenter, said he could not find a report in the meeting packet and criticized the process, saying the web posting and lack of a redline made public review difficult. He suggested the commission revisit barriers that prevent small infill housing from being built, citing setbacks, height and density rules and the difficulty and cost of Development Review Board proceedings.
Commission staff responded that the web-based plan posted Friday is the official document and that the identical PDF is available on the city website and in hard copies at City Hall and the planning office. Staff said the commission had received many specific recommendations and had addressed numerous edits in the matrix provided to council. The commission accepted public comment and then voted to instruct staff to draft the statutory consistency report.
Public commenters also urged the commission to treat short-term rental policy and the short‑term‑rental registry as open items: staff reported a registry exists but said enforcement is limited and that further review would likely await appointment of new housing-committee members. Several attendees said earlier committee input had been dismissed, and urged commissioners to keep deliberations open and to make redline changes available so the public can compare versions.
The commission did not take a separate formal action on the redline request at the meeting but approved the staff instruction to draft the consistency report, which staff said will include an attachment summarizing council edits. The City Council’s next public hearing on the posted plan is July 9.

